Hello, i have a 2000 international 4700 with a dt466e. It was overhauled about 7,000 miles ago. Runs great until a few days ago. I thought water in fuel so i changed fuel filter and checked for water in tank. Changed oil today to look for anything out of the ordinary. Nothing there. To explain what it's doing. It runs fine when i first start it. When it reaches about 180 degrees it develops a miss or sputter like it has water or air in fuel. I can't find a leak in the fuel system so im thinking it is maybe an electrical problem. Or the fuel pump is getting weak? If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears, before i start throwing parts at it i will hook it up to see if there is any codes. No warning lights have ever come on in the truck when this happens. Thanks
Sounds more like the head gasket wasn't done right, now when it warms up it's lifting and allowing compression loss. Any bubbles in the coolant when it does this?
I will check for air in coolant. Thanks
Now this is just a suggestion but I have a 1999 international with the same 466E engine. Mine would do something similar at times and I would find the fuel restricted from inside the fuel tank. I removed the fuel line at the hand primer and blew compressed air back through it to the tank. This would clear the obstruction and I would be good to go. I had to do this over the years several times as my truck had 479K miles. I could only assume that a small amount of rust or debris was clogging the suction inlet inside the fuel tank. No one could ever tell me if there was a screen on the end of the pick up line and I never tried to figure out if it did.
Are you lacking power when it's "sputtering"? I see no mention of the prefilter screen being checked/cleaned? I have seen many that were neglected for years. Depending on your fuel filter set up it should be toward the cab behind the spin on filter, part of the filter head, below the primer.
Thank you for the reply. Yes i cleaned that before i changed the fuel filter. There was a little stuff in there which is why I'm thinking starving for fuel problem.
This often indicates an issue with the HEUI system. It needs oil pressure to activate the injectors. When the oil gets hot, it thins out and cannot build enough pressure. Possible causes in order of likelihood: leak in the oil manifold, leak in the oil side of the injectors, blocked or faulty high pressure oil regulator, failing high pressure oil pump, starvation of high pressure pump. A good IH shop should be able to check the oil pressure while running. That should narrow it down.
Thank you, that makes sense.
The fuel injectors can fail mechanically also and wont set a fualt usually noticeable on cold start not when warmed up usually , if that is the case i dont recommend remans from IH unless you like to change them over and over again ,they dont offer new anymore and who ever is remaning there huei pumps and injectors are doing a **** poor job of it . I have good luck with alliant power fuel injectors in ih so far.
Is a hot start takes longer then cold?
Walkerv thanks for the heads up on the injectors. It's not noticeable on cold start. It runs perfect thru all rpms until it gets to 180. TVA it starts fine either way. I was running it last night to get it to temperature, it seems to idle ok after 180 degrees. If i go above say 1,000 rpm it starts to miss.
IMHO if it starts fine when hot that would seem to rule out the HEUI injection system, at least as a first diagnostic step. Usually the first symptom of leaking injectors or a wearing HEUI pump is difficulty to start when the engine is anything other than cold.
Thanks nige, then spud monkey may be right and the head gasket is bad. I have a mechanic coming to look at it. I'm over my head.
Spud monkey i did run it last night and got it warmed up and missing with the radiator cap off and no bubbles.
Then I would revert back to Wes J's post of checking the oil pressure then the injectors.
Pressure test of the cooling system maybe, to see if it is holding..?
If cooling wasn't holding pressure it's either A leaking externally outside the engine or B going into the engine which would show up in oil or you would smell it coming out the exhaust and he said he doesn't see anything in the oil. Plus would be losing coolant too.
It's not losing coolant and the oil i drained out was good. Nothing i could tell in it. It holds 7 gallons and that's what i got out.
Need to get a laptop hooked up to it and a mechanical pressure gauge into the oil rail to see whats going on, make sure to do an injector contribution test. I have seen ICP sensors, regulators and cam sensors do strange things (especially when hot) without setting any code also. Hopefully its a simple (cheap) fix!
That's the plan now GregsHD. I'm over my head here. I want to thank everyone for the help. I will let you know what happens.
Hello everyone, i want thank everyone who responded again. Got it on a computer today, had a code for cam sensor. Cleaned the wiring harness connection and no change. Will have cam sensor in the morning. Everything else checked good, good fuel pressure, ran the cut out test for the injectors on the computer. That was good. I'll let you know tomorrow if the cam sensor fixes it. Thanks again.
You got lucky usually they quit dead untill they cool off then will restart. Pay attention to the instructions they are alittle confusing sounding if you are not a mechanic .