I needed another cheap truck to beat up and down the gravel, so here we are. This is an old Transport National truck. Power steering reservoir rotted out, going to put back on the frame where it belongs. It has a centrifuge filter, haven't decided on that yet. I am curious if I know what this tank is for. Looks to be about 2 gallons, just has one line with a 1/4 turn valve going right into the bottom of the oil pan. Anyone know for sure?
Some fleets used those type years ago as a easy auto fill for engine oil, most later on mounted a auto lubber behind cab, and those had a tendency to keep oil level on the overfull side.
I think Truck Shop is right, it is an autofill for the motor oil so a lazy driver never had to check the oil. I worked for a construction outfit back in the late 80s, and we had 3 Macks that were imported from Canada. One of them had something like that on it, but I never drove it, was never near it, but I heard that is what it did. At first I thought it was a Luberfiner, add on oil filtration system, but they don't have a filler cap on the top like yours does. George