Hi, I have a Genie S 40 (serial 3849) The brakes won't release. I'm able to release the brakes by jumping the brake manifold solenoid. Which tells me the hydraulic side is working. I did check the pressure, it was 260Psi. When I check the supplied voltage to the brake coil, when not connected, it was 13.5-14 volts. But when I connect the coil into circuit, the voltage drops to less than 1 volt. I checked the coil resistance, it was 5.5ohms which isn't bad, I Think. I also checked the ground wire for continuity to the battery, it was 0. Thoughts?
Those switches can sometimes be taken apart. Be very carefull not to loose the parts, there ares prings and diodes in them. There are two contacts that rock back and forth. the contacts get carbon build up on them. They can be cleaned. you can try moving the switch back and fourth alot that sometimes will fix it temporarily. You can pull the switch and jump connector to make sure its not a wiring issue. The swith may test okay with ohm meter but it wont carry the load needed. to test if the switch will carry the load i use it to activate a horn. Horns are great for finding wiring issues that show 12 volts but wont carry the load needed to activate a devise
Thanks Midnight. Since my last post, I’ve replaced the coil, with a know good one. I checked the resistance in this one also, it was 5.5 ohms.No change. Which switch are you referring to?
whats the serial number and engine. Did you check wire schematic
Voltage drop under load indicates bad contact or internal wire damage. You can just run another wire, or run your thumb nail along the wire to find the soft spot. Don’t forget to check for good ground to the valve block and clean the coil real good, because as far as I remember those are one contact coils, means it is getting ground from contact with valve itself.
The serial number is 3849(it’s old) The coils on this machine have two contacts. I checked the ground wire- battery. There is good continuity (0) I added another ground connection to the body of the brake valve to confirm that. I’ll try running another power wire across from the ground control box connector (pin 32) to the coil. Anything else you can think of looking for? Thanks for responding
It has a Duetze engine. I have looked at the schematic, online.
The internal damage ( usually corrosion) will manifest it self in voltage drop under load for B+/power wire, the B-/ ground wire you test by checking voltage between B-/ground contact of the actuator and the actual Negative post of the battery - if you see any substantial voltage, or you see jump of the voltage when load applied - it means you have insufficient ground wire integrity to carry particular load/amperage.
Found the issue, It was the micro switch, on the platform joystick. One of the connectors was loose on the switch. Shout out to TVA, and Midnightmoon. Thanks for the help gentlemen!!
I have a genie S40 that will only move about 20 feet at a very low speed before stopping. I can turn the machine off and restart and will move a little farther before stoping again. I continue to turn off and restart until no movement at all. I have checked everything at stated in the trouble shoot which tells me to replace or repair the pump drive motor, I feel there is some other issue going on, any suggestions?