Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 Hitachi EX 160 LC Whining Sound From Left Final Drive

tsmallwood ยท 2014-03-09 23:04

Guys, I have a 2000 Hitachi EX 160 LC excavator that started making a whining sound from the left final drive area when moving foward or backwards. It doesnt make the sound all of the time mostly when traveling over a longer distance. I can use the boom to lift that side of the machine, with the track totaly off the ground and it will still make the sound. I can change the tone of the sound by the my foot force pressing the pedal. The excavator still tracks straight, both sides have equal power, the tacks are a little tigher on this side but not to much. The right side doesnt make any of the whining sound. Any ideas? Thanks, Thomas S.

Replies3
  1. #1Jim Dandy2014-03-14 21:19

    I have the same machine, same year with 4000 hours and one of the final drives has always made a noise that the other side did not. Mine is more of a whir than a whine. It has been that way for years and no issue as of yet. Don't know if this helps or not.

  2. #2mikebramel2014-03-15 10:17

    You can perform a case drain test on the motor for each side to determine whether it is a hydraulic or gearbox noise

  3. #3overworked2014-03-15 12:52

    Drain the oil and see what you have,