Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 Mack e7 460 engineer speed sensor problems

Brian Hines ยท 2019-07-04 11:43

Washed my engine at a Blue Beacon and it wouldn't start. Got a 32,34, and 41 code. I found bare wires going to the cam sensor. Replaced the cam,crank, and speedometer sensors and got her running again. It starts a little rough and still throws a 32 code. Also; there weren't any shims already installed on the cam and crank sensors. I just installed the new ones like the old ones which have been fine for 2 years. Any ideas on why it still throws the 32 code (engine speed sensor)? Should I reinstall with shims? Thank you

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-07-04 15:37

    It could be the speed sensor in the inj. pump.. if equipped.. some havem in the pump & some don't. are u sure its not a TEM code,?? That would be the screw-in sensor ON THE SIDE of the Inj. Pump.. & depending on the style u get, it may need to be adjusted properly.. & on some, they just screw in until it stops..{pre-set} I've never seen 1 w/ shims.?? U just get a "tang" up in the window & screw it in till it touches the tang & back it out 1/4 turn & lock it down.

  2. #2Brian Hines2019-07-04 15:47

    There isn't an injection pump. It has a lift pump that delivers fuel to a common rail. Each injector has it's own unit pump. It's flashing a 3-2 code , which is engine speed sensor. A Mack service tech had told me that was the cam sensor but I've still got the code after replacing. The wires to the sensor were worn through and bare causing it not to run. Makes sense, change it out and problem solved. Well; now it'll start (takes longer than it should), but still flashes the same code. I haven't driven it down the road yet, but it seems to run and rev up just fine.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-07-04 16:01

    I took a shot & missed.. lol I haven't had the pleasure of working on to many of those.. thanks for setting me straight.. I do know they had a soft inj. pump/unit pump camshaft problem at one time.. {but that aint helping u out} It might need a scan tool to delete the code.??

  4. #4Brian Hines2019-07-04 16:18

    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for but she doesn't start as easy as she used to. There's supposed to be shims on the sensors and mine didn't have any. Just wondering if that could be the problem.