Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 Cat 315bl Excavator – Will not shut off

r74vette ยท 2020-08-05 14:37

Good Afternoon to all. I have run into this situation twice thus far and would appreciate any guidance to resolve it. The Excavator has just under 10,000 hours on it. Runs great, however has twice continued to run after the key is turned off. Also with the key in the off position, if the safety lever on the side of the seat is moved up, all system (hydraulically are still active), the display (gauge panel) goes dark, but can operate the machine, dig, travel etc. My first thought was key switch bad? Anyway..... The first time (no shut down) - it happened some months ago, I checked connections to a solenoid that appears to mount to the injection/fuel pump. Just under the throttle linkage area. The electrical plug connection was loose and floating around or the terminal blade. I move it around a bit and after multiple on/off cycles of the key it did shut finally down. Assumed the connection issue was the problem. I have used the machine perhaps a dozen times since then with no issue. Yesterday (8/4/20) Motor would not shut down. Checked the connection, tightened it up a bit and it seemed to contact the terminal blade ok. Despite multiple on/off key cycles, simply could not get it to shut off. Ultimately, to get it to shut down, pulled the fuel supply line off at the water separator and plugged it. After a bit of time it did finally shut down. I have searched the subject up here and read some previous posts on the same issues on other model Excavators. Regarding the part that I am thinking is the fuel solenoid? I am not seeing linkage that can be adjusted and or inspected as noted in those posts. I do not have a service manual. Any help and or service nomenclature materials would be great.. Nick- Rochester NH. This is a farm machine and sits more than it is used.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2020-08-05 15:37

    Regarding your question about manuals. To identify the right ones would need the machine Serial Number.

  2. #2heymccall2020-08-05 15:38

    Machine serial number please, as the 2 315bl ranges have different style fuel shut offs.

  3. #3r74vette2020-08-05 16:18

    Sorry, I know better than not to include that information. Thank You 3AW02476

  4. #4Nige2020-08-06 05:06

    Cat Publications to look out for on the auction sites. In brackets I have put the price of a new one. Sometimes on eBay the sellers ask more than new price...!! Operation & Maintenance Manual - SEBU7107 ($49 on CD, $57 in paper form) Parts Manual - XEBP7712 - ($115 on CD, $136 in paper) Service Manual - RENR1120 ($535 on CD, $975 in paper)

  5. #5r74vette2020-08-06 10:03

    Thank You Nige I have a parts manual and operations&maintenance manual. But do not have the service manual as of present. Was hopeful that someone might be able to share that section of the service manual and perhaps some troubleshooting guidance. Thank You Again.

  6. #6r74vette2020-08-10 15:06

    Update. Got back to the machine today. 8/10/20 I was able to work through it and the issue has been resolved. Replaced terminal connector on wire that connects to the fuel shut off solenoid, replaced key switch as it was not working in a smooth fashion (might or might not have had anything to do with the initial issue). Had to prime the fuel system with the priming pump in combination with venting the two vents, one on the top of the fuel filter housing and then the one that feeds the injector pump/assembly. The re-prime was because of the way I had to get it to shut down in basically running it out of fuel. The short story is that it does shut down now when the key is turned to the off position. I did learn during this scenario that there is external linkage from the solenoid to the fuel shut off valve/assembly. It is located under the solenoid between the solenoid and the injector pump. It is not visible from the top side, but with a mirror and flashlight you can see it. In a no shut down situation, the linkage can manually be reached if needed to shut down the engine. I did actuate the lever by hand a few times to be sure it was free and moving. There is a return spring on it, so be careful if you have to use this method not to knock the spring off the end of the lever pin. Hope this information helps the next person in a no shut down condition.

  7. #7smooth12024-05-12 14:02

    I know u resolved this problem, I have same machine, happened several times to me, the shutoff solenoid on pump uses power to shut it off, not like some machines that use power constant to solenoid , I used a small mini intermittent push button drilled in and mounted next to key switch, turn off key and push the button for a second to kill engine. run a small live wire to the the solenoid..