Hi, recently bought a used hitachi ex35u mini from a friend for a good price. Used it a lot this summer, works great, kept note of any flaws, and this winter started taking it apart for a paint job and anything else it needed because I like to have things nice and in order. 4500hrs on it. first thing is the swing brake maybe. I noticed when walking the excavator a distance that when I turn enough to some what “jerk” the machine whatever way I’m turning that the house moves a bit from where the brake was holding it. I’m talking if I had the stick and boom half way extended the bucket would’ve moved an inch or two, just enough to noticed it moved and then stopped in that spot. And if I were to keep jerking the machine one way while traveling it’d continue to move an inch At the bucket and stop in that spot. Is this normal? Any adjustments or advice? second is the boom swing function itself. I’ll have the boom centered And after a day or two of running I’ll notice it creeps left Every time. I’ll hit the pedal, bring in back to center and after a few days it has crept left a bit. Was thinking the valve for that in the valve bank needs new seals or a rebuild? But I’m no excavator pro so that’s why I asked. I say I’m not an excavator pro but I am very handy and can work on just about anything. Also the plastic button on the floor between my feet, haven’t found out what thats for yet. But the wires were unplugged I did plug them back in.
Good day RPF According to our information the swing system is devoid of an actual brake rely's on the hydraulics to the motor. Kind regards Uffex
Thank you for the info. I did look back at the original sales brochure and realized it had mentioned a park brake and not and actual swing brake for the turret. Here’s the original wording.... “Wet-type multi-plate swing parking brake, interlocked with lever, provided for transportation.“
Good day RPF That statement is certainly standard for the majority of excavators fitted with a swing brake which appears to be absent on the 35 machine. Boom swing creep this appears to be a cylinder connected directly to the spool valve offering only two points of internal leakage (Creep) that of cylinder by-pass and that of spool leakage, the latter to the best of my knowledge is not a repairable component. Hope this is helpful. Kind regards Uffex
Sounds like you are describing the hi-speed. When driving the machine, step on the button and hold it down to go a little faster. At least in my case I have to hold it down - it's not an on/off switch like a hi/low beam on an old car.
Uffex, that definitely helps. I do appreciate your input. Minnesotadave, I’d throw a party if that was the two speed switch. I havent actually tried it because the button itself had so much dirt in it that it didn’t want to move. I’ll have to clean that up or replace it. I love the machine and that is probably my only gripe is the travel speed but if that ends up being the high speed switch then I’m overwhelmed.
That model I believe has a swing brake.
Good day MG Thanks for your observations but when I look at the hydraulic schematic I have on file it is devoid of a brake release line, my information may not apply to this machine may be its possible to check out by serial number. Kind regards Uffex
Mg2361, is it possible that is just the parking brake? Uffex, as far as the boom swing creep I would guess since it’s always in the same direction (left) it would have to be the valve in the valve bank??? here is the serial number
That is because whenever the pilot enable lever is in the operate position (lever down) the swing brake is released. Swing brake is only applied when the lever is up. I would check the boom swing cylinder first.
Mg2361, that brake operation makes sense but I’m still wondering if that one or two inches of movement is acceptable or there is something I need to do about it I’ll look into the swing cylinder as far as creeping goes
From my experience, when just driving a machine across a bumpy yard the house will have moved left or right several inches and that is normal. Nothing you can do about it.
That's what my book said too.