Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm getting more involved with heavy equipment though I've been a mechanic for years. So I have a 2001 Scat Trak with swing issues. Basically, I can swing left but not right. Today I swapped the hoses on the swing motor to see if it was the swing motor or if it was something less serious. When I swapped the hydraulic lines I can now swing right, but not left so basically both ports of the swing motor are working properly. Anyone know where I should head next for diagnostics? Any help would be great. I have a Service Manual on order from Vermeer, they took over the Scat Trak line of excavators when they went out of business. It won't be here for a minute so I figured I would ask on the forum. BTW Vermeer named it CX224 but it's the same machine. The machine is made by an Italian company called Libra. They actually are still in business and now make machines for Cams Macchine overseas. So you can still purchase parts. I keep running into misinformation about how you cannot get parts for the machine but you can through Vermeer, even though Scat Trak doesn't exist.
Bump........Anyone? I do have a parts schematic I can post pics of. It shows the valve block, and shows the routing of the hydraulic lines of the pilot controls.
The problem is most likely in the main control valve. Does it even try to swing left? Does the engine sound like it gets under load when you try to swing left? If the main control valve is accessible I'd trace down where the swing motor lines come out of it. On a pilot controlled machine you should have 1 smaller hose connected to each end of the valve section that controls swing. I'm not familiar with these machines but there should be a cover that the pilot line connects to that can be removed so you can inspect the spool that moves back and forth in the valve. I kinda suspect you have a broken spring or not enough pilot pressure to move it 1 direction. Find the correct valve section and report back. Pictures would help too.
Yes that's exactly what I was just doing. So the lines run into the valve body at the very end of the valve block: The parts manual shows the end cap coming off above by two 4mm hex head bolts. I removed them and took them out. I took the end cap off and the spring isn't broken, but I also could not remove the spring and rod assembly from the valve block either. There looks to be another hex bolt that runs through the center of the spring, and I'm wondering if that runs completely through the valve block to the left side pilot control and that's why I could not pull it out. To answer your question no it doesn't seem to bog under load previously when I tried to swing it right before. Just for clarification. The machine will swing left will not swing right. When I switched the lines (I bought a slightly longer hydraulic line so I could cross them) on the swing motor it then would swing right and no longer left. That's how I ascertained it wasn't the swing motor. I did trace the actual pilot lines back and there aren't any crimps or damage to them. I looked at the pilot control and the valves aren't stuck there either. So I agree with what your saying, my assumption is that it's in the valve body as well. Here's a pic of the machine: I repainted most of it. I had the Kubota 4 cylinder motor rebuilt and I just installed it about 3 months ago. This just started acting up. I really would like to make sure everything is fixed perfectly on it then sell it so I can get a bigger machine. The machine has roughly 2000 hrs on it.
The spool should slide in and out once you get the end caps off. Sounds like the spool is froze up or possibly has a piece of debris keeping it from moving one direction. You're on the right track, just keep going. See if you can get the spool (rod) out of the valve body.
Okay I'm pretty certain that it doesn't just slide right out. Seems to me both sides must come off and then this middle hex bolt must be loosened before it will come out. I used a small pry bar and it compressed the spring when trying to force it out. I think I will need to pull the other side as well. I was hoping I didn't have to remove it because there's tons of hoses. But never-the-less I will try to disassemble the other part when I get a chance. Here's a couple photos to show you what I'm seeing:
Ok. That internal hex head bolt is just a spring retainer but it does have to come off before the spool will slide out. Both end caps will have to come off like you said.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping it doesn't take long to get the service manual on the machine from Vermeer. It was expensive as hell but standard for any Service Manual I suppose. To be honest looking at the parts manual diagram above what part of this could fail to cause this issue if the spring isn't broken?
If the spool is moving and the springs are Ok it could be a pilot control issue. The small lines that go on the end covers can be swapped to test this theory.
Okay let me try swapping them tomorrow. It won't hurt for further diagnostics before removing everything again.
Okay swapped the lines today. Definitely not the pilot controls. Now when I push the pilot control right it swings left, confirming it has to be in that valve block. Now maybe you can help me understand something. I have been studying the parts manual of the other hydraulic lines that T off of each side of the valve block the pilot controls go into. Can you tell me whether #10 and #15 would have any bearing at all on all of this? #15 is a Reverse control block though they don't show the handle on the top of it. My initial thoughts are it wouldn't because if we switched pilot controls and it now swings the opposite side, the flow would have to be correct through these blocks and no obstructions. Doesn't mean I'm definitively correct. So I figured I would ask. Also what's line #23 purpose coming off the switch block? I don't mean to bother you with a bunch of questions. I'm not new to hydraulics, just these type of hydraulics, and I'd like to get a better understanding of them. Maybe in turn one day you can ask me about F1 system hydraulics and I can help you should you own a vehicle with one or purchase one with them in it.
Without seeing what 23 connects to I really can't. One of those hoses should go to the swing brake to release it once the controls are moved one direction or the other. Have you pulled the circuit relief valves to make sure one isn't stuck open? Also, have you found any contaminate while taking anything apart?
Are you talking about the circuit relief valves in the swing motor or somewhere else. I did swap them in the swing motor but I figured if it was either of them when I swapped hoses on the swing motor it would be evident. I really can't say I've found any contaminates to speak of.
02Dmax it's all fixed buddy. I found the issue after pulling both sides. I think some debris was stuck in it. All the fluid was really golden, so I'm not really sure how that was the case. Nevertheless, I appreciate all the help you've given me.
No prob. Glad to hear it's up and going. Doesn't take much contaminate at all to foul up a hydraulic function. Good deal.
Hi there has any body got parts manual for libra224s 2001 model .thanks