Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002 Cummins 4-390 engine???

stefuel · 2022-12-22 19:15

I'm assuming in 2002 that this engine is 100% mechanical injection. I think this engine even has a mechanical camshaft driven lift/fuel pump similar to a fuel pump on a old small block Chevy. Anyway, I'm told that it starts right up and runs well but then randomly shuts down. So I guess there is two directions to look. The fuel shut-off solenoid/wiring/power or fuel delivery system. If it runs fine until it quits, I'm guessing the injection pump is not the problem unless there's a fuel strainer that is clogged at the inlet of the pump. Am i missing anything on a older 4-390 engine that would cause random shutdowns???

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-12-22 20:02

    The thing that is missing is what the motor is in.

  2. #2Delmer2022-12-22 21:28

    or the injection pump model would help.

  3. #3stefuel2022-12-23 03:37

    The post was more about the engine then what it's but it's in a 2002 Case 85XT

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-12-23 07:48

    Your on the right track.. 1) shut off solenoid on the pump. 2) 12v power supply TO the solenoid.. 3) depending on how it shuts down, dirty filters.. 1) u CAN run a 12v power wire straight from the battery TO the solenoid.. that’ll eliminate the intermittent power supply.. 2) u can take the guts out of the solenoid, spring and plunger.. That will also eliminate the solenoid problem.. If it still shuts down, u have a fuel/filter problem.. Good luck & Merry Christmas.!!!

  5. #5Vetech632022-12-23 07:53

    It's a Cummins 4BT3.9 in a Case dress. The engine serial number will not come up in Cummins system but a lot of times the Cummins part number will be stamped on most parts. Case does this so they can charge you $500 for a belt tensioner that Cummins sells for $150. Been down this road many times................

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-12-23 08:03

    Just substitute a “3” in place of the “J”... THAT’ll get u a good # to use.

  7. #7mekanik2022-12-23 08:39

    I have seen a Cummins 5.9 B series do the exact same thing. It turned out to be the lift/fuel pump. I replaced the diaphragm type lift pump with an updated plunger type pump. Problem solved.

  8. #8Nige2022-12-23 09:16

    But you note from Vetech's reply that by you mentioning what the engine is installed in straight away gives the answer to what model it is.?

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-12-23 09:32

    I always thought the exact machine needs to be known, so that the fuel line routing, screens, filters and even a lift pump can be looked at to diagnose a problem. But, I guess if a person is absolutely certain the problem is in the pump nothing else is needed to know.

  10. #10Nige2022-12-23 10:24

    "I have my opinion, don't confuse me with the facts." I had a boss like that once......

  11. #11Txhayseed2022-12-25 19:32

    Didn't say how it dies. Just shuts off instantly ? Chugs to a stop with smoke ? Starts right back up with no issues ? Starts back up after cranking the starter till it catches ?? The diagnostics are always in the details the more you can provide the better.