Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002 Volvo G720VHP Questions

Auctioneerhere · 2021-12-05 00:03

I know it is older, but a far cry from my old 112. Anything to watch for with the engine & trans combination? Looking at buying one, would like some feedback on any common issues with these graders. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Mike L2021-12-05 06:51

    Volvo makes a pretty good grader. I think that vintage is when champion graders became Volvo. The only regular issues I can remember were the transmission shifters dying prematurely and they are expensive to buy.

  2. #2DB22021-12-05 10:57

    There is a thread on here about repairing a broken wire on said shifter. All in all pretty dependable machines. Make sure the diff lock functions properly.

  3. #3Auctioneerhere2021-12-05 11:48

    Thanks for the replies, I'd like a CAT 140, but this fits my budget better. I won't put 500 hours a year on it so I won't wear it out.

  4. #4BigWrench552021-12-05 12:13

    Look at the articulation cylinders real good. They have been known to break free of the frame on the barrel side.

  5. #5cuttin edge2021-12-06 19:28

    Under the 2 cranks for rotating the circle are 2 gears. Between them is a thinner gear that times the valve for the 2 rotational pistons. Keep it greased. If it gets worn, the circle will start to jam.

  6. #6Fatgraderman2021-12-13 16:33

    I think they had the wheelbearings figured out by the time that one was built. They were a real pain on the series IV’s and early V’s. But I used to pick the back end up with the ripper from time to time and grab the top of the tire to give it a good jerk. The hydraulic booster on either the clutch or brakes can fail anytime. Most of my adventures on those pre Volvo machines were due to hydraulic hoses.