Hello Everyone. I inherited a 315C and the Monitor does not power up. I am hesitant to operate the machine without Temp Gauges and such. My brother has replaced the Monitor ($700) and still no go. Checked the fuse, it's good. Now I need to chase the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this machine? A road map is always a good thing to have.
Do you have a Serial Number.? There are no less than 30 different variants of the 315. It would be nice to know which one of them you're dealing with.
Nige, Thank you for the reply. The machine is in the country, about 1.5 hrs away. But my brother is gonna spin by there tomorrow and get the Serial Number. I will post it asap. Thanks again!
Nige, The SN is very hard to read, but this is what we came up with. 0315CHCFT00468 Please let me know if this doesn't look right.
That's fine. You have a 315C S/No CFT00468. I've sent you the electrical schematic.
Not all generations of Cat excavator do this, but some disable the monitor when in backup mode. Are you sure that someone didn't toggle the "backup mode" on?
heymccall, How do you toggle the Backup Mode?
heymccall, Just googled the Backup Mode. According to the video for a 315B, this function kills the monitor and engine controls. Then there is another toggle that increases engine rpm. On my unit, everything works as normal, just no display. But your input is appreciated. I need all the help I can get until I become more familiar with the unit.
Backup control operation for your machine.
Hi, Turn your key switch to the on position and see whether only controller's green light illuminates. Then turn off the start key and disconnect sw as well and disconnect the connector near the monitor panel. Now turn on both keys and check the voltage between number 5(green wire) & number 2(black wire) at the female side of the connector.(numbers should be marked inside the connector) and the reading should be 3.0v to 4.6v .(dc) Now check the voltage between number 6(brown wire) & number 2(black wire) and the reading should be 0.1v to 1.2v .(dc) If these voltage levels are not with in the limits either your controller or wiring is defective. So you can check the above mentioned 3 wires by refering schematic to determine that the wiring is good or bad ( black wire is the ground wire, green wire is the cat data link + wire, brown wire is the cat data link - wire). Do a continuity test, ground short test, B+ short test on these wires. If the wiring is ok that means your controller is defective. That means there is a communication signal error. If that has happened, if you have an oscilloscope then you can check the wave form of the data link signal and it should be a clean pwm signal if working correctly. But if the signal is corrupted then you can see that what has happened to it. And that information is vital for a good electronic technitian who is familier with micro controller units, if you planing to repair the controller.
anuradha, Thanks for the information. I will look at these wires this weekend. But, I don't think my Monitor is receiving power. My brother purchased another monitor and plugged it in, but still no joy. I do not have any lights or displays what-so-ever. (Dead!) I am gonna start by checking power and ground across pins 1 and 2, as well as across 2 and 3. If all looks good there I will move to the CDL wiring. Again, thanks for the information as I learn more and more about this unit.
Hi, Yes it is. I should mention it first to check the power and ground to the monitor panel before mentioning other things. If power and ground are available to the monitor, then my previous post will be helpful to you for further troubleshooting if needed. Good Luck.
Hi, When you check power supply to the monitor check whether these two fuses are good. (Dome lamp/Memory fuse & Backup/Monitot Cont. fuse)
check these two plugs for corrosion they are located behind the kick panel under the monitor the plug is very close to the floor and fills up with dirt and water it is a white plug from memory and is unsealed the power wire usually ends up with green death
Mark250, Thank you for the added information. I will be checking the wiring the weekend, and will post the results. Thanks again to all. You guys are awesome!
I will guarantee Mark250's post of the unsealed connector under the right kick panel is the correct answer. I've fixed many of those connectors for what we like to call "guacamole"
Well... You guys were correct. The red wire on pin 1 was broken off at the pin from corrosion (Guacamole as Greasynails calls it). Fixed wiring and all is well. But here is the amusing part of the story. My Brother found a New Monitor online for only $650. He had already installed it just to receive the same symptoms. After correcting the wiring issue the new monitor powered up and was gorgeous, EXCEPT.... all of the text is in Japanese! I laughed so flippin' hard I nearly fell off the machine. So, reinstalled old monitor and all is well in the world again. I can't thank all of you enough. The schematics from Nige, and the input from everyone else is priceless. BTW, does anyone know if the New Monitor can be reprogrammed to English? (Still laughing)
You don't need to reprogram, just re-setting it to English.
Lachau, Thanks for the information. We will give this a try next weekend.
Where is the backup monitor fuse
Hey gents I got a similar issue but what voltage should I get from the cdl+
Where are these fuse located
You could start with a Serial Number…. That would get you an electrical schematic appropriate to your machine which in turn would show the fuse location. The signal on the CDL is not a voltage. You would need an oscilloscope to view it.
Ok thanks I got the monitor working and found the fuse but I am currently not getting any pressure from the hydraulic pump or when moving the levers would appreciate a diagram of the pump and what are the names of the different solenoid on the pump
There’s a a solenoid on the main hydraulic pump that isn’t getting any voltage when tested use some gauge and there isn’t any pressure building up
That’s the main pump can you tell me if those are pressure sensor ??
I'll send you the electrical schematic. Judging by the apparent "quality" of the electrical wiring repairs you more than likely have multiple electrical problems of some sort. My best suggestion is to get yourself a parts manual and a service manual. Here is a link to a parts manual on eBay . I can't see a service manual anywhere at the moment. The Cat Publication reference is RENR5520.
Does anyone know if the 322bl has the same wire connection as the 315b? A friend has two of these 322bl machines and both have no or intermittent monitor function. His personal machine, he claims that after it warms up then the monitor will come on. Is this possible?
Are you looking for an electrical schematic.? If so just post the Serial Numbers of the two machines.
Yes Sir one is 2ES00290 the other is 2ES00295 both are cat 322bl’s. I greatly appreciate you help Sir.
As a gift for a HEF's new member.
Slight problem the connection is the only connection. I have found that goes to the monitor. If I’m reading the prints correctly. There no number indicating what wire goes to what pin. lol. Prolly not to take a swag at it. (Scientific wild ass guess) never works out. If you help me with this failure on behalf of the engineers that produced these prints. I appreciate the gift, gratitude beyond works.
In this case you identify everything by wire colours & numbers on the machine side. of the connector Every wire should have a number marked on the insulation every 6" or so. It helps that each of the six wires in the machine harness are different colours. Also you need to take note of the table in Grid A-1 of the schematic.
And this table as well, just in case you missed it...........
Can you post a photo of the 6-pin connector at the back side of the monitor please.
Actually it has 7 pins but one is not used.
Yes sir the same number that is above the line ( colored wire) on the dwg. No indication of pen as of yet.
I do appreciate your help with this issue. Y’all are angels, truly
So the electrical schematic is wrong, at least to a certain extent. It shows what I would interpret as a pigtail (arrowed) of wires between the harness connector and the monitor when in fact one does not exist. The male half of CONN 15, shown on the schematic as allegedly separate, is actually part of the Monitor. i still maintain that you can identify the pins using the wire colours and numbers, because as I pointed out before each one of the six wires coming into the machine side of CONN 15 is a different colour. As a further comment I think it is highly unlikely that anyone has ever unpinned the wires from the machine side of CONN 15 at some previous time and repinned them in a different orientation.
I think we are communicating effectively first of all. I just step in what you threw down. Your telling me these wires in this pic should be in a plastic plug. That should just plug into the monitor. Is this correct? I love the perfect world, however I’m never bless something simple. So I will dismantle this monitor again. And trace where each pin supplies data to. I do honestly appreciate the info you have provided. Btw I inherited this mess. It truly is blessing and a test.
That is correct. I will see if I can find any details. What is shown in your photo is a right dog's breakfast. Even the terminals on the wire ends are wrong. Is the butchering of the Monitor harness the same on both machines.?
So I came across a document that lists a "Monitor Extension Cable" used for training purposes to allow the monitor to be moved outside the cab of the machine so that all the members of a training class can see it at the same time. The piece parts of that cable at the Monitor end are as follows:- 1 x 111-4815 Plug Assembly 1 x 125-4838 Wedge, Lock 7 x 102-7965 Female terminal (6 in your case because you only have 6 wires) Sorry I cannot find what brand of connector they are. Probably something obscure. From another resource I found the pinout details for the 111-4815. I cannot 100% guarantee that these pinouts are correct but I think there is a good chance that they are.
Sir, you are the man. I was told that the monitor wasn’t working. I unbolted the plastic molding. And found 3 wires plugged in. The rest was hanging there. I was a Blackhawk crewchief in the Army. So I was baptized by fire. Haven’t got the other machine apart yet. 1 @ a time
Have you considerd the possibility that the other machine might just provide some clues as to how the wiring ought to be on the first one. Who knows, you might just get lucky.........
Confirmation of the Part Numbers for the Monitor connector. I found this on the cab wiring harness diagram for another model. See references 4, 17, & 25 on the attached parts listing.
Mr. Nige, Sir you amazing, and I for one, will be indebted to you. For the massive help you have been. I apologize for my lack of not conveying to you. Why I was dead set on the PIN numbers. Which somehow you where able to retrieve. I was just sure there wouldn’t be any way to know what went where. When relying on the drawings themselves. And at about the same time as you sent. The suggestion of the other machine and what it may offer. I had somehow already went to photograph the other machine. Once I climb up into the beast. I encountered the moldings are still in their original finish. I sat in the seat looking it over. And this little device gave out its chime. And the screen lit up with those pin outs you sent. Causing me to give out a HOOOORAH that causes several porch lights to flicker on. I did get the monitor installed in the first machine. However it was to late to ignite the fires for a quick test. In the AM I’m headed back over will keep you advise as to the outcome and any info I could add to help aid you. As you will continue to be that little beam of light. Guiding us through the uncertainty I know I felt.
This is what was on the other machine. Which also had the original plug.
Thanks for that update. It will be useful for the future I am sure. Another piece of informatkion for the data banks. Were the pin numbers actually moulded on to the back side of the plug.? Got a photo by any chance.? I did say I wasn't 100% sure about the pinout numbers. I had to interpolate somewhat from the same connector Part Number but used in another entirely different application. Glad I suggested that now. At least now you know what the plug, and the connector sockets inside it, look like.
so i have a 315 CL and monitor quit working a year ago on a job, went to looking around and all my fuses are good, there is power/ground coming into the connector. The white connector in the bottom right kick panel did have a ton of corrosion and i cleaned it all up and still had power but monitor still shows no life, i took the monitor apart and everything on the inside looks good and still brand new. I’m at a loss with this
If you’re certain that the power is being correctly supplied to the monitor (try powering it from an external source direct to the appropriate pins to confirm) then despite there being apparently nothing amiss the monitor is in fact dead. You can supply power/ground to the pins in the back of the monitor without needing any comms wires hooked up and if the screen does not light up it’s confirmed deceased.