So i just recently bought a truck and i finally found out where the oil leak is from. But question is what needs to really be done to it? Truck has 1.4 Million km's on it 800+k Miles i circled where the oil is coming from no other leaks can be found and engine oil is not seeing any coolant as i did oil change.. Thanks for any advice
there is an oring and a diamond seal on the cam gear that will run down and leak there .also looks like some one has been in the front cover ck the 3 small bolts that hold the thrust plat to the cap could be loose .
Actually that's a pic i found online that's not my exact engine it is a DD 60 series though same as mine its just the general area where mine is leaking. it was already dark when i got my engine cleaned up but yeah that's the area where its leaking
But in regards to that leak if something isn't actually loose then. Is it still a huge job to fix? My friend said it can't be head gasket cause there is no contamination in oil or coolant leak. i just don't wanna get job done and they find they were wrong and it is the head gasket.
ill grab my camera today and take a pic
When we bought our 9900 with the Detroit, it recently had a new engine and still had warranty. 50,000 miles later, it was leaking right there. Mine was under warranty, but I think the guy said it was about a 5-6 hr job to change that "diamond" seal. Bit of advice, if you take it in to have it fixed, make sure they replace the valve cover gasket. Insist on it, and tell them to make sure they have the front and back CLEAN, and I mean "so you can eat off it" clean, before they put the silicone on. Yes, that's right, I said silicone.
Oh oK I'm getting it done at a Detroit diesel shop. ill see what they say i was considering getting a dyno done before i get this on the road. what you rekon on that?
Never have been a fan of the dyno. Have had a few over the years, never have been useful for figuring out my problems. Why are you considering a dyno run? Are you concerned about something? Being a 2003, I believe that you have a pre-EGR 14 L?
Well yes that's right its Pre-Egr 14l engine. Reason for dyno is so i know if everything is in working order.. Short story truck was listed for 14k with mvi till November. Guy said its good to go. so instead i didn't listen and the guy allowed me to get mvi done before i handed cash over. well it failed and would cost 4100 to fix. I asked them to check leak they obviously didn't but passed mvi and guy gave me 4k off the truck sale. Well this place that did the mvi fixed alot of things, The brake shoe was cracked left front steer which was fixed cause it was fail on mvi . And guess what when i took for alignment they found 2 inch play in king pin... 2500 bucks later now I'm ready to go except I'm worried there is more issues. so i wanna be sure before i get stuck on the highway with no cell signal
Not sure the dyno will give you much. One thing I certainly would do is have the overhead done. I'm pretty sure you're going to get that with getting that seal fixed. Used trucks are always a question mark until you get them on the road for a week or two and figure out what's what. Good luck.
I wouldn't waste your money on a dyno. It's highly unlikely to reveal anything taking it for a spin down the highway wouldn't reveal. As for the leak. It's very common for that diamond orings to leak between the front cover and head. The book may say 5 to 6 hrs but for anyone who's done one before it'd be tough to drag it out into 3. Just my experience, I've done several. And I'm not trying to split hairs but your kingpins could not have 2 inches of play. That would mean it had literally no pins in it at all. I'd double check anything ANY shop tells you.
yep the wheel felt like no king pin and the mvi missed it and i got it fixed i took video of how bad it was I'm looking to get my money back from the shop who did mvi. That or get their license pulled.
but i think ill get leak fixed make sum money and do a rebuild The truck it's self is in excellent condition except engine leak. AFAIK
SO it is the head gasket that's leaking
So, it just got more expensive. No matter what they tell you, make them change the head gasket, and put it to work. I know several guys that did it, and their engine is still running with million+ miles. They will do everything to talk you into an overhaul. It would be better if you had been running the truck for the last 100,000 or so.
Yeah i told them that already. ill find out this morning if head is ok... /cross fingers