New to the site.. Thanks in advance for any help... My uncle is having an issue with a hoe looking for some direction. I have not seen the unit yet going there next week just thought id post on here maybe get some insight so all info is second hand. It intermittently won't start and he says there is some plunger / solenoid on the side of the engine that he has to wrap a tarp strap around and pull on it and leave it on to keep the excavator running. While the strap is on the key basically doesn't function u have to release the strap for the plunger / solenoid and then it shuts off. he said he tried a different key and it seemed to work ok for a bit not it is doing the same thing.. he is thinking it is and ignition switch issue?? Basically though with the strap pulling on this plunger/ solenoid he said it starts everytime but just has no shutdowns unless the strap is released.. Sorry not sure if anyone is going to understand that but any help would be great. Thanks
You described it perfectly.. BUT we need to know if its a 2 wire solenoid or 3.. if its 2.. its just +&-.. if its 3 then theres a "hold" circuit in the system.. You need to get a volt meter or test lite to SEE if your getting power TO THE SOLENOID.. IF SO.. the problem is the solenoid.. IF NOT.. then the problem is a key switch, relay, or fuse..
So what exactly is the solenoid for what is a controlling is it a safety shutdown?
Fuel solenoid, pull to run.
The signal from the key energizes the solenoid and moves the stop lever on the fuel injection pump to the run position. Turn the key off and the solenoid de-energizes, the stop lever on the FIP moves to the stop position and, guess what, the engine stops.....
OK.. 2 posts.. NOW I GET IT.. Lol Thanks LAN & Nige..
That's what happens when we're typing at the same time, LOL. This board doesn't auto update like some. Just trying to fill in some background
If you change out the solenoid with a new one make sure to adjust it so the solenoid can go all the way in. Or it will build high amperage and burn up a new solenoid. There is a procedure in the TM for this once you do it, it will make sense.
What is the TM?? And where is it at?? Lol any idea where the fuse and relays are located..? Thanks again for everyone's help.
I was thinking you had the TM (tech manual TM-1665) Fuse panel is behind your left elbow or armrest sitting in the seat It may have a gray cover about 4x6 inches. To get to the relays is a little harder, there is a dark gray cover behind the seat. There is only a few there most of them are along the right wall to the right of the right console. It is absolute nightmare to get the cover off. In my years at Deere I did not have any of those relays go bad. The relays are Green if your looking for them. Most likely your issue is fuse. If the white ink has not worn off the cover it will say what fuse is for.
So I just checked it out this morning the solenoid wasn't working when we initially tried it we put the strap back on it to pull it started it after running for a few minutes now it's working properly again seems to be very intermittent.!? I can't see how it would be a fuse or the relay ?!
It's a three wire connecter got good power and ground 24 V the hold circuit is showing 21 V
Must be solenoid
so I bench tested the solenoid I hit it with 24 v and it works fine. When I plug in the solenoid and push it manually it does hold but it just doesn't pull in on its own??! Accessed the relays and disconnected them one at a time to see which one is on the hold curcuit but none of them seem to do anything..? What should the voltage be on the hold curcuit?
Just downloaded the TM and there is no wiring diagram agh...
When I check the hold curcuit it is only showing 2.3mv now?! This thing is all over the place.. And the TM it doesn't show any relays..
Curious to see how this plays out. My 270 lc did the exact same thing then it got to the point where it wouldn't turn over the starter anymore. If you jumped the starter and used a bungee in place of the solenoid it ran fine. After going through my entire wiring harness (no blown fuses or relays) i found my alternator was fried sending power back through to the dash so it had power to it after i pulled the key. Disconnecting the alternator fixed my backwards voltage problem but it still wouldn't start or kick the solenoid. Oddly enough a little ballast resistor had fried as well. I can't remember the part number but its the one bolted to the frame that surrounds the computer behind the seat. I haven't had a chance to see if the new alternator or resistor fixed my problem yet since we pulled the motor last year to rebuild it. My mechanic seems to think the resistor fried because of the alternator. That's why just fixing the alternator didn't solve all my issues.
Ok so I did come to realize the 24v to the solenoid hold curcuit is only during cranking.. At which time it started working properly haha so I guess.. I tried it through the day and it was working properly everytime.. I will leave it for morning and see what happens
Ok so went out yesterday morning fired right up. Moved it around shutting it off here and there, Starting up everytime. Comes time to load it on the low boy and won't start.. Agh messed with it a bit couldn't get the solenoid to work properly again this little bug is getting irritating. I'm wondering if it isn't the ingnition switch find it hard to imagine that a solenoid would be interment like that when it bench tests fine everytime?!
Does anyone know where the k15 fuel shut off solenoid relay is located???
by the batteries check the pdf in you email.
Thanks brad u have been big help.
So bee away after a lot of messing around and intermittent operation, picked up a solenoid and replaced it... Has been working problem free for 2 weeks so problem solved! Thanks to everyone for their help.
Problem is back again, wondering if I didn't have it set properly as brad suggested so it was able to pull all the way in?? I adj. where the old one was set but may it wasn't right not to sure...
For what its worth on my 270 i have managed to fix all my problems but still my solenoid refuses to work. Once the motor was back in with a new alternator a few relays were dead after all. I replaced all of them but noticed some of my diodes were dead. Still waiting for the new ones to come in.
Well my diodes came in annnnnnd they didn't fix the problem. Looking at the wiring diagram would the overheat switch automatically shut down the machine and stop it from firing again?
There is not a murphy shutdown on a 270 You can overheat it all you want. Run it out of oil. Deere like to sell parts. I bought all the deere svc. manuals so I have access to all schematics if your having questions about something specific.
I think i may have just fixed my problem but i'm not sure what i did? I bungeed the solenoid on this weekend to use the machine and after an hour or so of use i turned the key off as usual and then undid the bungee cord and it would shut off. Yesterday same thing except i forgot to turn the key off first and undid the cord only to find the solenoid to be magically working. I stopped it and restarted it a few times to make sure i wasn't dreaming. I left it for a few hours and came out to try it again to show a few friends and it went back to its old self of not working. One friend grabbed his multi meter and tested the batteries which put out 25 volts but when i cranked the key into the run position it dropped to 22. We swapped the batteries out and put the batteries in from another machine and it fired up no problem. I have load tested both batteries before and they checked out fine but when hooked together seems one draws from the other? Can a low voltage stop the solenoid from kicking on? Everything else worked no problem so i'm a little confused?
Having problems myself with my 230lc excavator the pull coil works on fuel shut down but I have no power on the hold wire from machine to coil is there any relays I'm missing or something what gives it it's power
I have a question about power from hold on the fuel shutdown I have power for pull coil but not hold to keep it there it drops out within 3 sec of starting any power from somewhere else not sure how much it needs to hold the coil any help whould be great