Hi Everyone, my name is Jason. I own a 226 and a 262. Two years ago the same issue occured on my 226 but that is a whole different story. Back then I was not very mechanically inclined and had just started up my business. My 2004 262 the hand throttle cable is moving, and so is the foot pedal, but when I go to bring the machine back to idle, it gets stuck at almost a high idle. I was lurking on this forum and did some reading but wanted to post to verify a few things. I inspected below the cab and under the pedal, and sure enough... the foot pedal assembly is getting stuck (it looks corroded and rusty and gunked up), its causing the hand throttle cable to bunch up and is keeping itself at a high idle. I went to my local dealer and was quoted $2,000+ for parts and labor (thats not including if any bolts break). (When they did the repair on my 226 it was $2,800). I am going to try and do the repair myself this time. I bought the foot pedal assembly. However I just had some quick questions for those of you that have experience with this repair. I bought the foot pedal assembly for $130 They want $600 just for the floor plate! (Can I make my own or am I stuck buying CATs) Once the Cab is lifted, and I go to remove the floor plate bolts, my bolts are pretty shot... corroded, gunked up, and they will have to be easy EZ Out'd or Grinded and drilled out. Can I drill them out since I am doing a new floor plate and not going to even try to save the old one? or are there major concerns with doing that? (The cat tech said there is wiring and a fuse harness under the floor plate, I didn't see it when I poked my head under the machine. (Even if it is there, is it something I can just detach while I work and re attach later?) The bolts for the front plate (2x 13MM bolts) one of them was sheered and Im afraid the other will do the same, should I try EZ outing those too as well? Thanks in advance for any help on the situation. Just want to make sure when I go to remove the floor plate and the front plate, I am not destroying anything or any wiring.
I'm a big fan of my mini disc on my Dremel when space allows.I'm sure someone with direct knowledge on your 262 will chime in shortly.
I'm pretty sure I read about guys doing this on here and they were able to pry a plate out of the way so they didn't have to do too much dis assembly. As far as the rusty bolts go, I would spray everywhere you can reach around the bolts with a release agent, PB Blaster, Kroil, WD40, etc.. and let it soak. Try searching the forum for 287 foot throttle or cat skid steer foot throttle. Sorry I'm not much help....
Thanks guys, that thread you stated is actually the reason I joined this forum. Looks like I'm just going to grind them off as I need to completely replace the floor plate while I am at it. When I do it this Spring I am going to take pictures so I can document the process so others can have visual references. I'm just hesitant with removing the ECM as those bolts are pretty shot as well. Does anyone know how to post pictures on this forum? My photobucket and imgur links didn't work ??
Click on the next to last icon on the right above the reply box. It will come up with an image upload window.
Thank you! Here are pictures of the current "situation"
If you can get at the heads of the bolts holding the ECM with a 4" grinder and a cutoff wheel, have at 'em .......... just remove the allen bolts holding the 2 wiring harness plugs first and get the harness away from the sparks as much as possible, you can do that by cutting the tie-wrap holding the harness on to the bracket on the upper left corner. Once you have the ECM off then heat what's left of the bolts and melt some candle wax into the threads, they should come out either with a pipe wrench of by welding a nut onto what's left of the bolt.
The parraffin wax trick works well, just takes time. Many machinists swear by it. Of the off the shelf products I have the best luck with PB blaster. A homemade brew of acetone and ATF (50/50) has been shown to be more effective than any of the popular off the shelf products. Its a big investment, but a mini-ductor tool can really come in handy for sensitive situations like this one. Its a flameless heat induction tool that will heat bolts cherry red in a few seconds. Works awesome because it only heats the bolt unlike a torch which would melt the ECM and burn the wires. Saved my ass many times, very nice on suspension stuff too as it wont burn the rubber. Even works on big 1" bolts and such. Its a few hundred bucks though. Good luck.