Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Cat 416D with limited reverse power

HazeC · 2023-02-07 21:58

My 416D is having trouble in reverse. It will not move with a load on the front or if you are on an incline. The forward clutch is reading 225psi (Seems high) while reverse is only ready 53psi. I’ve changed the fluid, filter, and cleaned the strainer. The strainer was pretty clogged. The fluid was also fairly milky. I have checked the forward and reverse solenoids. Both read 11.6v. I also have replaced the solenoid valve. It could be the reverse clutch, but I’m curious what you all think before we pull the trans for a clutch repair. thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-02-08 00:08

    Was the strainer clogged with black material.?

  2. #2farmkid16_20022023-02-08 03:44

    What was the strainer full of? Did you cut open the filter trans filter? 53 psi definitely low in my opinion compared to foreword pressure. Most likely a plugged office in the solenoid valve

  3. #3HazeC2023-02-08 08:33

    There were some metal shavings, but it was mostly a tan-ish colored substance that clogged the strainer. The solenoid valve was replaced lasted Friday.

  4. #4Nige2023-02-08 10:16

    Post a Serial Number. I’ll look up the clutch pressure specifications.

  5. #5Nige2023-02-08 11:23

    Taking a random S/N prefix from the 5 options available. Pressures as follows. All to be done with machine systems at normal operating temperature: - Pump - 220 ± 25 psi with engine at High Idle. Forward clutch - 205 ± 15 psi with engine at Low Idle. Reverse clutch - Measured forward clutch pressure ± 3.6 psi at Low Idle.