Hello, First time skid steer owner. My wife and I purchased this machine two weeks ago today to use on our land. Unfortunately, we did not check it out the way we should have and now we have a machine that has a few problems that need to be fixed before we can use it. I have a few questions and would appreciate any help. The metal hydraulic lines that go to the radiator are leaking hydraulic fluid at the fittings. The hoses and metal hydraulic lines do not seem to be leaking. I have attached a picture showing the metal fitting where they are leaking. I have ordered the Caterpillar o-rings and am waiting for them to arrive. Do I need to be concerned about hydraulic pressure in the lines before I undo the metal fittings to install the o-rings? If the pressure needs to be released, what is the procedure to release the pressure? After opening the hydraulic system, will I need to bleed air out afterward? Also, does replacing the o-rings at the metal connections usually correct the leaking problem? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the site. First off I would suggest including a full serial number for this machine to get a better answer. The year of the machine is nowhere as important than the s/n or it might show as a PIN number on a tag. To be honest never work on a Cat skid steer but spent around 40 years working on all kinds of Cat and other brand heavy equipment. I could be wrong but those fittings on the tubes do not look like they would have orings in them. The elbows that the lines connect to would have orings at the cooler. I tried looking up in parts on SIS but there are so many different 262 models I did not want to give wrong advice.
Thank you for your response. The serial number is CAT00262PCED00263.
They’ll be o-ring face. Everything on that machine will be that variety . That hydraulic system isn’t pressurized so just shut machine off and break the fittings close. You’ll lose some oil but it won’t puke everywhere, you’ll get some as they’re cooler lines but still not bad. Worst case crack the lowest fitting loose and let it drain then the others shouldn’t do more than dribble. No need to bleed either for that repair.
Thank you, sir.
Pretty much what was stated above. Get a small drain pan to catch the oil, you'll probably lose half a gallon out of that cooler.
Each ORFS location, on each end of those two tube assemblies, takes a 6V-9746 O-ring, which is a for a -12 size fitting. The BOSS (SAE) side of the elbows calls for a 3D-2824 O-ring, which is also a -12 size.
Thank you for the picture and part numbers.
Will do. Thanks