Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Volvo EC160B LC

Jeffrey Bandel ยท 2020-07-19 16:43

I'm going to look at a 2004 Volvo EC160B LC with around 5,000 hours on it. Aside from the obvious, is there anything particular about this machine I should look at or be aware of?

Replies15
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-07-19 19:04

    Looking at? For you to purchase, for a customer, what are you doing?

  2. #2Jeffrey Bandel2020-07-19 19:19

    For me to purchase.

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-07-19 19:51

    Check swing oil, make sure it hasn't leaked into the slew bath. Bring a stopwatch and gauges. I will attach some inspection

  4. #4funwithfuel2020-07-19 19:52

    A bit more

  5. #5funwithfuel2020-07-19 20:01

    Last bunch. This will help you make an informed decision. The tracks are usually in good order for a machine with that low of hours. I would add to take a sample off the bottom of both the hydraulic tank and fuel tank looking for water, check the filler of fuel tank looking for rust. Look for damaged or dry rotted hoses. Make sure to bring a ladder so that you can check the dipper cylinder's rod. The dipper and bucket always seem to get damaged by "quick" operators. Check boost pipes for broken mounting brackets and holes. Check for damage and obstruction to cooling package. make sure to look in between. Start it and let the fluids flow. Once you're confident the oils have circulated, pull the bucket in over relief and swing the arm in and out. This will generate heat quickly to see if the hydraulics will get noisy or weak. Do you know what options are installed?

  6. #6Jeffrey Bandel2020-07-19 20:27

    This is great. Thanks. I do not know about options. Here is the link to the website: https://www.aeiequipment.com/invent.../2004-volvo-ec160b-lc?dlr=1&pcid=2894997&lo=2

  7. #7funwithfuel2020-07-19 20:40

    Any chance you could have a dealer tech give it the once over for you. It would be an investment towards not getting taken. The hours are questionable. Those sprockets look sharp for "only 5000"hours

  8. #8Bluox2020-07-19 21:26

    1 left track on backwards. 2 right track is way loose idlers at end of adjustment 3 bushings are gone on one track, track is junk 4Bucket cyl. rod is junk 5 bucket pins are loose 6 the 4 tooth bucket is junk You will be needing a undercarriage Good luck Bob

  9. #9Jeffrey Bandel2020-07-20 05:55

    Wow. Thanks. Guess it's not worth the trip.

  10. #10uffex2020-07-20 08:10

    Good day Jeffrey I suggest that you be prepared to spend at least six hours inspecting the machine, we know of claims that it can be done by a visual look in a shorter time however even experienced guys can also miss stuff. Attached one of our inspection forms its free to download along withe protocol. If you would like a sample of a completed inspection please come back. Kind regards Uffex

  11. #11Jeffrey Bandel2020-07-20 08:14

    Thanks. I think you guys scared me off. I bought a 2016 CAT 229D and got completely taken. Mostly because the seller figured out how to set the hours on the display from 4,300 to 1,800. I am very gun shy. Another thing I don't like about the 160 is all the new paint. Just makes me leary...

  12. #12funwithfuel2020-07-20 08:23

    It looks like it was a demolition machine with a grapple and guards taken off.

  13. #13suladas2020-07-20 21:43

    Agree with others, that machine is painted up and a dealer trying to rip someone off badly. I could look past certain things but a track on backwards? No way. And there is no way that thing has 5000 hours on it with sprockets with that kind of wear, unless it's entire life was spend traveling and nothing else..... I would bet it's more like 10-12k hours for average wear for sprockets to look like that. If it really has 5,000 hours on it it's seen one heck of a hard life. I think in a lot of cases like that whoever is painting it isn't actually gaining anything. Most people aren't stupid and can see right past the fancy paint, and it worries people compared to seeing what condition it's actually in. Is there a specific reason you're looking at a 160? Super rare machine and so they usually get a really good premium.

  14. #14Jeffrey Bandel2020-07-21 07:34

    Not really. I've been trying to buy an excavator for a year but can't find anything worth it. Mostly I was looking at bigger ones--in the 50Klb range. The 160 would do what I need so I had an interest. I will be using it to dig a series of 12 ponds small ponds on my farm.

  15. #15funwithfuel2020-07-21 07:46

    Around me, the 160-170 size machines go for a premium. No oversized or overweight permits needed. Plumbing and sewer guys absolutely loved them before the zero-swings gained popularity. Plus they fit well in tight Chicago lots. Good luck on your search