Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Bobcat T 190

gregd · 2013-02-03 09:05

I just bought a used t190 with 2860 hrs seemed to do fine when test drove now 20 minutes into first use the steering arms got stiff and jerky feeling and engine Boggs when you push steering. Sounds like the engine will choke out if I force the arms forward or reverse. Machine will move but has a tapping noise when traveling much like steel tracks on a dozier but not nearly as loud. I just replaced 3 hydraulic lines and put aw32 oil and not bobcat brand oil any ideas or similar problems? Thanks gregd

Replies11
  1. #1CM19952013-02-03 09:59

    AW32 is a 10 weight oil. Bobcats require the heavier 30 weight oil. From what you describe, the hyd oil is probably the issue. Drain your hydraulic tank and system and then fill it with 30 wt. If the machine needs filters changed now would be the time to do it as well. If the wrong hyd oil is used in a Bobcat the hyd's will be jerky and not want to function. As far as the track noise, we'll need a little more information. Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums!:drinkup

  2. #2gregd2013-02-03 10:08

    Thanks I will check oil, as far as the track noise it seems to be an issue when steering levers are moved all the way either direction regardless of engine rpm but will kill the engine all low rpm`s

  3. #3gregd2013-02-03 10:19

    I also noticed after a few minutes of operation the oil in site glass appears to have a lot of air in it a foamy look but clears overnite

  4. #4390eric2013-02-03 10:36

    Did you change the oil to the right weight? Sounds like you need to do that, the weight of the oil is very critical to its performance. The right oil is needed to get the optimal performance.

  5. #5gregd2013-02-03 11:29

    Not yet but I am going too, thanks for advice

  6. #6CRAFT2013-02-03 12:07

    Is that machine a 2-speed ?? … maybe it's switched in to hi gear … just a thought …… CM … maybe the 30wt in your part of the world but here we use only the hydro/tran (combo) oil AW32 year round …..that is the recommended oil by Bcat dealers …just saying …cheers

  7. #7gregd2013-02-03 13:27

    Not a 2 speed, thanks though

  8. #8CM19952013-02-03 19:19

    Kentucky is closer to my part of the world than BC. I know from experience running lighter weight oil will cause a Bobcat to act cantankerous...:cool2

  9. #9gregd2013-02-03 20:38

    I'm gonna change the oil this week do I just drain it from the tank or do I have to flush the whole system

  10. #10CRAFT2013-02-04 01:15

    Ohh I don't doubt that ! …. there are days when ????? …… I had to switch the crankcase oil to Chevron Delo 400 5w-40 full sythetic because the damn engine had such a hard time turning over on those major minus days, I would hate to imagine if it had the heavier hyd oil in there to boot …. I do have an engine block heater and also had it where the engine temp was up but the hyd oil (even tho it is AW32) was so stiff that the engine fired but would not stay running, it would take a half a dozen tries to keep it running and then you could hear the pumps talking till it circulated awhile …. on the average colder days it take sometimes up to an hr to where the all wheel steer actions are not delayed "Now that's where things get exciting" ……..

  11. #11gregd2013-02-04 20:26

    Well I drained the oil today and checked the case drain filters, the left side was covered with very fine metal and maybe brass looking residue and the right side n o t much residue but probably a table spoon of metal chips fine up to about half the diameter of a cigarette, guess this is bad news or is this normal for 2800 hrs.