Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2005 Cat D5G xl no power / stalling / dying

Daniel Arnold · 2021-02-15 20:30

I have a 2005 cat D5G and I was moving dirt on the side of a hill when I noticed I was losing power and it reduced RPM’s. I got off the hill and moved to flat ground but the problem continued. I would start pushing and I could hear my RPM’s reduce then I would stop the dozer would sputter and quit. I would start it right back up and it would run fine for a min then it would do it again. I did notice that my fuel level was below 1/4 tank don’t know if that has anything to do with it but that is the lowest I have let it get since I purchased it. I haven’t started changing fuel filters and air filters yet but it was just serviced 100 hrs ago. Raw

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-02-15 20:39

    The supply pump plays a HUGE part in the fuel system.. Just changing the filter might not cure the problem.. ur gonna hafta blow the lines back to the tank.. Good luck..

  2. #2Daniel Arnold2021-02-15 20:43

    I have read that the line that 90’s off the fuel transfer pump is notorious for stopping up

  3. #3Nige2021-02-15 22:03

    By the sounds of it you may well have sucked something from the tank when you were working with a somewhat low fuel level on a slope. If you have no idea when it was last done, drain any water & sediment from the fuel tank. You'll find a drain close to where the fuel supply line leaves the bottom of the tank. See what comes out. i agree with pumpguy, there might well be some contamination in the lines & fittings which a simple filter change will not address. You ought to go through the whole fuel system, cleaning and blowing out lines as you go. Best of luck. if you want detailed technical information it's always good to supply a Serial Number.

  4. #4catman132021-02-15 22:53

    i would fill with fuel . change the filter and try again

  5. #5Daniel Arnold2021-02-16 06:19

    Machine S/N WGB02049 Engine S/N. MHK08892

  6. #6Midnightmoon2021-02-16 07:07

    90 degree fittings clog up first I'd start there

  7. #7Nige2021-02-16 09:19

    Do you have a manual for it.?

  8. #8Daniel Arnold2021-02-16 10:57

    I do not

  9. #9361brock2021-02-16 11:05

    When my D5H acted like that with low fuel in tank it turned out to be the transfer pump. When the fuel tank is full transfer pump didn't have to work so hard, but when nearing empty, then the spitting and sputtering happened. Just my experience, worth looking at. The lift pump on D5H has a diaphragm with spring, in my case the spring broke in 2.

  10. #10Nige2021-02-16 11:46

    It might be a very good investment for you. Less than $50 for a pdf download from Cat. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7801 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. if you choose a CD or paper option S&H charges will be added on top of the price.

  11. #11d9gdon2021-02-16 21:13

    Guaranteed to be the line from the fuel tank to the filter assembly to be stopped up, normally in one of the 90 degree fittings.