I just got this at auction and it turns over well, but takes a long time to run. Was wondering, since I can find no evidence of it having glow plugs, what is the theory here? Was this machine made for warm weather? I see in a Deutz F3M 2011F service manual that some models have 2 "Helical Heater plugs" in the intake manifold...Since I have the plug holes in my manifold, would I be able to install these Helical heater plugs in my engine and hook them up to a flip switch?
Yes, you can install them.. BUT I would think, theres another problem.. A quick compression & injector test may show some results.. A lift pump change would be my 1st go-to.. or install a gauge to see what the pressure is, going TO the inj. system..
Generally, direct injection diesels don't have glow plugs. If they feel it needs help to start in COLD weather, then a heater goes in the intake manifold. That's for temps around 0. You have other issues. Does it have too much blowby when it's warmed up? Does it start and run smooth once it does finally start? Does it blow any white smoke while it's cranking but not yet firing?
Usually those little Deutz diesel fire up regardless of temperature. Even at 40 below they'll fire if they have a good battery.
I have a jlg 450 a with the little duetz diesel and it fires right up. (Its a new engine). Does not seem to matter what the temp is. Fires up almost instantly - the only exception being when fuel filter and the fuel screen starts clogging. It has no glow plugs, heater, etc