2005 Volvo A25D Serial # - A25DV13985 Transmission fluid is full. Looks good and does not smell burnt. When the truck is cool it will shift fine for 1 or 2 loads. Then when starting off under a load the motor will rev up like the transmission is slipping and it will not pull. Occasionally you can pull it into first gear and it will pull off and you can shift it through the gears. But then it will go back to sounding like it is slipping again. The operator states an alarm went off, a light came on and a he believes it indicated low fluid level according to a picture in the operator's manual. I have not seen the light yet. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Monitor vehicle speed and engine speed on display, sounds like you may be losing the vehicle speed in the dropbox. BTW the dropbox symbol is sometimes confused with trans oil level.
If I am loosing the vehicle speed in the dropbox, what is the fix? Or what should I be looking for? Thanks.
The sensor failing. That's why I advised to monitor on display. If you see the speed fall off suddenly or give crazy values, you would look at the sensor.
The speedometer seems to read correctly and does not fluctuate. While driving, it will jump out of gear, the motor will rev up, then it will go back into gear firmly and shift thru the gears. When it starts jumping in and out of gear you can come to a complete stop. Pull forward a little and feel the transmission re engage. One time the transmission main oil pressure low symbol came on for about 5 seconds.
I would say it's time to drop the Filters and change the oil to see what you have cut the filters apart carefully inspect for debris. Keep in mind there should also be a Sump strainer in the bottom of your oil Pan you may want to remove the Pan to access the sump screen Make sure you don't have any heavy clutch material or metal in the bottom of your Pan as well
Use a proper filter cutter to disassemble your oil filter similar to the one shown in the image
I changed the oil and filter today and brought them to the shop to cut. I will update tomorrow.
Did you drop the Pan and look inside
Im not familiar with anything but the a40 series transmissions , the a40d i took care of had 12600 ish hours on it did some similiar things as it began to fail. Does the a25/a30 tranny have the same life expectancy as the a40d of 10k to 13k hrs . Im curious as to how many hours are on the op tranny
9,000 hours on the machine currently. I did not drop the pan because it is in the the field and I will have it in the shop before I do any more disassembly. I did order a new diagnostic kit that will enable me to do the proper diagnostic work on this Volvo.
Defo not the drop box as that is mechanical and you would hear any issue in there. there is a small chance the main pressure pwm valve is acting up and not giving you pressure when you need it, have you monitored the pressures as it happens? visually with a pressure gauge? oil pump be giving up and causing momentary losses of pressure or even the torque converter.