Hey all - Recently my 267B has sprung a slow leak behind the engine. Running, under load, or parked - it leaks the hydraulic tank dry in 3-4 days. After a good wash and a topup I was able to figure out the slow leak is somewhere behind the motor on the back wall of the engine compartment; Ive tried everything to see where it is leaking from. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose and repair as I have been unable to locate a shop manual? Any help is appreciated, these are apparently the b*****d children of the cat family.. *** Shawn
So I guess you have raised the cab. There are some low pressure hoses under the hyd tank that like to leak at the clamps. Is it leaking from the flywheel housing or your not sure?
Honestly, I've never lifted the cab; only had the unit a couple years - and since the back of the engine compartment appeared to be solid steel and I figured that was where the leak was - I havent bothered. Any quick help / tips / instructions on how to lift the cab? Havent got any of the manuals available... couple bolts or? Thanks! Shawn
Found the cat instructions online. Will get at it and report back!
Well I went out to loosen to twou bolts at the bottom front pillars of the cab; the previous owner had covered them with expanding foam. After chipping away the foam on one, I found the bolt head encircled by some kind of steel plate "lock". Is there a trick to these? Pry up on the plate etc? There is no way for the bolt to turn otherwise... ??
The bolt heads are locked by the plates you can see. You need to undo the nuts from underneath. You'll need a 24mm or 15/16" deep socket. My best advice is to lift the loader arms right up before you start work. Don't forget to install the safety brace. It's then fairly easy to lean in through the cab door and tackle the nuts, although if they've not been off in a while you might have to use a breaker bar. Depending on your serial number there was an update to one of the low pressure hydraulic lines coming from the tank. That may be your problem.
When you get the nuts off you can lift the front of the cab by hand. Sometimes the bolts will seize it the cab mount which will make the cab feel like it's still bolted down. I would recommend having a helper to lift and to make sure the lock at the back hinge of the cab goes into place. There is a gas cylinder that should make lifting easy but sometimes that cylinder has lost its charge. Be prepared to see a lot of dirt under the cab if you haven't cleaned it out for a while.
Thanks for the info guys; I'll be going at it again shorly! Cmark - any link to that recall so I can check out the info and if my unit applies? I would lift the arms, but the res is empty again at this point; trying to find the problem before dumping more hydraulic fluid in (and out).
Whats your machine serial number?
Serial Number is Cat0267BVcY00698. Well, After some effort and borrowing a compact impact I managed to get the cab up. Took pics but apparently 2MB is too large for the forum.. Besides a small box on the "drivers" side being a little wet, all was dry. Thankfully the extra light allowed me a new view from the back. Beyond the battery, on behind the left side of the motors is the picture I've attached. I could actually see it drip on the pump/drive from above. I then crawled underneath and popped the access hatch - got a nice facefull of hydraulic fluid soaked sand. Pulled out the pressure washer and soaked it all - and called it a night - figured I would take a look again today. My question - looking from the rear, what is mounted on the bottom pan, behind and to the left of the block?
More..
I'm not sure but are you looking at the A/C accumulator and lines.
Well, its the glossy wet unit in the middle of the two second pictures. Behind the block and mounted on the floor. Its seems to be leaked on from above, but I cant get eyes over the block or from the front. Popped the access hatch on the bottom and cleaned out a ton of hydraulic soaked sand.. letting it dry today so homefully I can get a better look. Is that unit the AC accumulator? What could be leaking from above onto it? Thanks Shawn
Check your hydraulic cooler,,, they were prone to leaking on your model.
Suggestions on getting to it? Best option through the hatch on the bottom? Or pull the air intake lines off the top of the block and try squirreling in between the rad and block?
This mabey not what u want to do but might help, add a couple gals of hydr oil with the cab lifted you need to start the machine and use the functions to see if something makes it leak worse alot of the times
(I hit the wrong button) as I was saying, this will show the leak, in order to start the machine with the cab lifted you have to install a jumper wire on the seat switch and make sure the arm bar is down, the seat switch wires are directly under the seat you can see them with the cab lifted its just 2 wires, run each function a little at a time while watching in the hole and see if you cant find the leak that way, I work for Cat and work on these machine all the time just my 2 cents, good luck.
This is a very dangerous option. Do not turn the park brake off if you do this. It will make the system LIVE and can crush or kill you. I lost a good impact doing this once. If you want to have the machine running, put the cab down and start it normally, then open the cab. This way you have bypassed no safety switches.
OK if it is the accumulator in the picture that is wet and glossy it will be covered in condensation if you run the AC. If it is covered in oil it would have to be from the cooler,cooler lines or fan motor.
Here are 2 diagrams, one of the air-con lines, the second of the hydraulic oil cooler and lines. You can orient yourself from one to the other using the air-con condenser which is shown on both drawings. As Grandpa pointed out if oil is falling from above on to the accumulator (circled) of the air-con system then it could likely be coming from the cooler or a connection on one of the cooler hoses.
Well hopefully it stops raining here long enough for me to get a look at it - been a busy couple days. Am honestly thinking of tossing it in an auction and calling it a day - I honestly cannot see where it is leaking from. Anyone suggest some good Cat repair shops in Alberta / Saskatchewan? Our local is only "truck on site" deployed..
Well I finally got it clean enough and squirmed underneath - by the looks of things and the drawing nige provided, I am guessing it is one of the hoses on the air conditioning condensor itself.. the lines above look dry from what I could see. Now the big question - how the hell does a guy get in there to work on them / tighten or replace? See the pics below - shot from the access hatch on the bottom..
Well, pulled the fan yesterday and found the leak once I got my head in there. Its puking from a "cap" or breather on top of what I think is the orbit motor for the AC. Attached some pics. Unfortunately its in a spot I need a couple more inches arm to reach. Any ideas what this unit is and if its just a plug cap / failed o ring? These are takend top down on the back left of the motor, same as the pics before but from the top. Can see the access hatch on the bottom for reference.