I had new tracks and undercarriage rebuilt. This is the first tightening of tracks since installation (around 75 hours on new undercarr/tracks). I have the track adjuster tool, was able to get tension off of bolts and remove them. But am having trouble getting the next set of bolt holes to line up. The tool tightens but then it just gets really, really hard. Do I have to use a big cheater bar or is that too much pressure? what's your experiences with tightening tracks on cat 277b?
I noticed nobody replied to this thread, but I am having the exact problem with my 277B. Anyone??
Mitch, Is this with a new set of tracks recently fitted like the OP..?
No, my machine has about 1457 hours on it with the factory tracks. Couple chunks missing on the edges but lots of tread left. I could tell my left track was looser than the right due a visual sag, so I got the tensioner tool from my Cat dealer and took out the two bolts and attempted to tighten the track. After a couple of ratchets I couldn't get the tension any tighter. It was like it was frozen at that spot. Used a cheater bar and bent the blade in the tensioner. Got a new blade and will attempt it again Sunday (machine is at my ranch about and hour and a half from my home). Will loosen the idler all the way down, apply some lubricant and not use a cheater bar. Also will check my oil pressure with a manual gauge (other problem I posted).
PM me your e-mail address. I have some interesting info that might help you but it's far too much to post here.
Your slide's that extend the frame is bound up with dirt... release the pressure, take an air blower and blow all the crap out of the slide area, then retighten and if it still bind's tap it with a sledge to help pop it free.
Got pressure guage installed and at cold idle it shows 60 pounds. At full throttle warm engine I get 65-70 pounds and at warm idle I get 38-40 pounds pressure. Running 15/40 oil.
Based on these readings I replaced the oil pressure sensor. Problem solved.
I agree with Grandpa.