Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2006 Cat 287B blowing oil out the pcv vent lines

Leon Warden ยท 2021-11-17 11:31

2006 cat 287b with a 3044c/t, Ive did the updates on eliminating the PCV valve and now I have oil blowing out into the bottom of my machine to the point where it isnt registering on the dip stick. There is a hose that comes off the dip stick tube down where it enters the block and im wondering if it might be coming from that? seeing as thats the lowest point oil could make its way out of the engine? everything else is coming off the top at the valve cover vent. Could I plug the hose coming off the dip stick tube without causing harm?

Replies19
  1. #1Vetech632021-11-17 11:54

    Why did you eliminate it in the first place?

  2. #2heymccall2021-11-17 12:35

    Yes....Why? Is this what you eliminated?

  3. #3heymccall2021-11-17 12:38

    Or did you halfway do this?

  4. #4heymccall2021-11-17 13:48

    The above two are different because you didn't provide a serial number.

  5. #5Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:40

    Because after replacing it twice with new ones it kept clogging up! And over pressuring the engine causing oil n coolant to seep out of the motor.

  6. #6Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:41

    Yes thats exactly what I removed!

  7. #7Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:44

    I did all of this but I think the hose coming off the dip stick tube allowed oil to escape the crank case through the path of least resistance.

  8. #8Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:47

    The serial # is ZSA03281

  9. #9Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:50

    #4 in your diagram is the hose that attatches to the dip stick tube. I left that hose attatched to the dip stick tube and routed down into the belly pan.

  10. #10Leon Warden2021-11-17 16:52

    I think this is why it spewed oil all over the belly pan.

  11. #11Vetech632021-11-17 17:11

    I'm going to let Mr. Mccall handle this one LOL

  12. #12heymccall2021-11-17 17:24

    Well, again, who told you to do this? What document or procedure? Oil and "coolant" escaping? If you vent the valve cover to atmosphere, and block the hose going to the dipstick tube, most likely the newer vent tube will spew oil along with crankcase fumes. That thing you're calling a PCV is called an OCV in the maintenance manuals. It has 3 ports In from valve cover. Out is fumes separated from oil, back to intake. Drain is oil (separated) back to oil pan, via the dipstick tube.

  13. #13Leon Warden2021-11-17 17:34
  14. #14Leon Warden2021-11-17 17:36

    Is there a better fix?

  15. #15Leon Warden2021-11-17 17:42

    OCV? oil control valve?

  16. #16heymccall2021-11-17 18:01

    Follow the instructions in post #4.

  17. #17Leon Warden2021-11-17 18:09

    Thats the service bulletin I used! Only thing different was I left the dip stick return line vented to atmosphere. It doesnt say what exactly to do with that hose?

  18. #18heymccall2021-11-17 19:25

    The one to dipstick The one to intake

  19. #19Leon Warden2021-11-17 19:38

    Ok so as of now Ive did exactly what the service bulletin has prescribed. I'll let ya know how it works.