Looking at a machine that has some strange operations happening with the trans. It’s the HTE 840 and 8800 hours, fluid looks good and smells good. It stalls the engine in F-1,2,3,4 then when you try 5th it feels free and will move and go blade roads. It will shift 5,6,7,8 no problems. Getting into R-1,2, it stalls the motor 3rd it will move and seems fine In any of the gears that stall the motor you can feel it’s like the parking brake is on - and it does have a random alarm related to the parking brake / brake system pressure. Would you think it’s the opposite of what you would think where the brake pressure is leaking off and causing the brake to be set?
You could try calling/contacting Jade/ Elvaan Equipment solutions. I got to speak with the service manager the last time I called and he was very helpful. [email protected]
Yes, Jake is one of the regulars, just have to get up super early to get synced up with those guys and my time zone. Thanks Dave
Before Jade was bought by Elvaan, it was near impossible to talk to someone in service even when I went there in person. The last time I called I got the manager and he put the service manager on the phone. That's when I was informed I could take the solenoid plunger assembly off the articulation valve without having to remove the complete valve. I still had to plug the hole but had an assortment of caplugs. Plunger assembly checked out good and after putting it back on was able to force the manual override pin in and it free'd up the stuck main spool. It got the articulation working in both directions again. It drifts some but sure is nice for tight corners. Taking the whole valve off was a bit of a PIA and I ended up losing 2 pails of oil.
Yeah man Im glad you got it going sucks it was such a struggle. But thats kinda what I was trying to explain about that valve assembly before is that those "cartridges" are removeable and get broken or stuck with a piece of grit. The electromagnetic coil doesnt have much power to shift those spools and they can be a bear if they are broken or sticking.
I was surprised the small pin for the manual override didn't bend but it is mostly enclosed in the plunger. Apparently it's common to just replace the whole cartridge but everything looked real good. Something was jamming the spool from moving in one direction. I was really glad I found the solenoids for a great price. I bought 4 for a couple hundred bucks which was mostly for shipping to Canada. I would have had to spend $2300 to get new ones from Jade ($575ea.) and from a Parker distributor were $620ea.!!! I put dielectric grease on the cartridges so the solenoids wouldn't get seized on them. I had to totally destroy 2 of the old solenoids to get them off. There is huge amount of wire wrapped up in the solenoids.
Yeah those solenoids are made by hydra-force and are actually common parts that can be had from any hydraulic supply house. Many of the Champion cartridges are exclusive, such as the unit I have coming from Elvaan at the moment for my 740 A/B clutch is exclusive to Champion (Delaer only) item and guess I was lucky that they had (1) in stock. (1) Cartridge and (2) solenoids + $987.00 USD and then theres Express Saver shipping that takes 4-5 days from Canada and its $260.00 USD!! I asked for red label since I was already blowing money I might as well have it now. Sorry no Red Label from Canada, a "Foreign" country??? What a bunch of ********. I swear sometimes the Sooner we invade Canada and kick the Looney House of Windsor outta there the whole world gets better day 1.
Yeah, the shipping charges, duty and brokerage fee's are BS! The solenoids on my series II are made by Parker. Series III are the same. I went to a couple hyd. shops and they had no info on them. I found them for $9.20us at a place called Iron Wing sales. $96cad. for 2 with all the shipping and duty. I have a price list from Elvaan for the cartridge parts. A kit is $231.24 that contains all the internals and can just be swapped. I have prices for the individual parts too except the nut but it's just a 5/8" fine thread jam nut. I was at a Parker distributor and they couldn't locate any of the valve parts but did come up with the solenoids after I supplied a part number. $620.00! Elvaan was $575.00. I found an old bulletin on servicing the valves online. They were originally made by Fluid Power Systems and are called Multi-Pak valves. I found a later Parker brochure from 2004 where they are called MV4 Multi-Pak directional control valves. They are all solenoid operated but appear to be discontinued by Parker. At least the Parker distributor couldn't find any info on them. However Elvaan had parts for the cartridges so maybe Volvo gets parts exclusively? I can't remember if I asked about the main valve parts. The spool and body are matched and must be purchased as a unit assuming they are still available. I kind of doubt it but maybe. There is/was a lot of different optional features for the valves like dual load checks and thermal relief which are on the articulation valve.