Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2006 IH 4300 DT466E air compressor

f311fr1 ยท 2017-05-05 19:42

So what do I need to look for to replace my compressed air compressor on the above truck. Sits mid level on drivers side. any good source of supply other than dealer. Compressor head gasket is leaking oil (excessive) and at 250k miles I would rather just replace it.

Replies7
  1. #1RZucker2017-05-05 20:24
  2. #2RZucker2017-05-05 20:31

    If your compressor is leaking oil through the head gasket, check for a restricted discharge line or plugged air dryer.

  3. #3f311fr12017-05-05 21:00

    Thanks, I will check that tomorrow

  4. #4f311fr12017-05-05 21:01

    Can the discharge line be replaces with a hydraulic hose assembly?

  5. #5RZucker2017-05-05 21:06

    NO!!! hydraulic hose will NOT take the heat. Stick with actual air compressor discharge line. Stainless outer braid and a high temp Teflon liner.

  6. #6f311fr12017-05-06 09:46

    Thanks

  7. #7f311fr12017-05-06 12:29

    Ok it is a Bendix Truflo 550 new part # BX800468. New cost from dealer $3300.00 plus freight. Reman cost from Vanderhaggs is $340.42 plus freight with a core charge of $652.50. Should have it by the end of the week. I will have a local shop install. The old one was pumping oil to the oil drier. Very small amount of oil (a few drops) when I drained the air tank. I will have the drier seviced and replace the air discharge line at time of install. I figured I better get this fixed quick as it involves engine oil and air brakes and a failure of either is not good. I am also going to replace the return and suction lines on my power steering as they are swollen and seeping PS fluid.