Tractor has almost 12k hours on it now. Knock on wood...never had any issues with this machine likely due to a excessive preventative maintenance program I follow. A week ago however, the STOP Light/Alarm lit up. This was after a 15 minute warm up @ idle. Put it in gear, drove it around job site to work area, and once I began to put it under a load it happened. This STOP Light is not accompanied by any other warning lights/indicators. Put it in neutral and it goes off about half the time. Sometimes I can turn machine off, wait a minute, start again, and it’s off but comes back again when put under a load. Here’s the thing. It only continues to do so for up to the first 5 minutes or so of heavy load operation. After that, the light stays off all day. I’m leaning towards electrical, but not sure. All fluids and hydraulic pressures are good. All oils/filters changed every 250 hours. The only thing I know of wrong with this machine is the fuel gauge doesn’t work when tank is full. It has to get down to 2/3 of a tank to show fuel level properly. Thanks for any input/advice!
Need to post a serial number for starters. Does the stop light come on steady or does it flash?
Flashes.
Serial number? It matters to where we go next. Also, does the park brake light work? Does it go out when released?
Serial #885163 Parking brake light works. However, it goes off immediately after start up. Parking brake engages when machine is turned off, but will not apply when machine is running and switch is turned to ON position. Still have to toggle it after start up to release after start up though. Been that way for years. Have a new solenoid on the work bench, just haven’t gotten around to installing it due to the fact that it doesn’t bother me. Also, fuel gauge hasn’t worked right for a few years. When topped off, it shows EMPTY until I get to about 1/2 a tank then it registers properly. Figured it was the sending unit in tank. No big deal. I’ve checked my harnesses for any damage anywhere, none found. Everything looks good and ground is clean and intact. Note: Yesterday I washed machine down with it running. While doing so, it began to do the STOP/Alarm for about 2 minutes then stopped. Hmmm...
A flashing red stop light with the engine running most likely indicates that there is a service code. Lets check for codes first. To view codes there is a jumper that has to be removed and then check blink pattern of the engine overheat light based on your serial number. I think near the ECU there are two 2-wire connectors. One with a little barrel looking device and one with just a wire jumper. Unplug the wire jumper, turn key on, after ten seconds a blink code should start (again, it should be the overheat light). Post what codes you have. Each code will be two digit numbers with short pauses between them with long pauses between codes. If you don't have one I would suggest getting the tech manual TM1691.
Thanks for the info. I will do it today
Assuming I read correctly I got the following codes: 32 33 26 Is there a way to clear them once issues are addressed?
32 - start of the active codes 33 - start of the stored codes 26 - Manifold air temperature input voltage low. That translates to a short in the circuit somewhere, either in the wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself. I have also seen the source of the short in the ECU as well. Look at the easy cheaper stuff first. Inspect the wiring real good, especially where it bends around corners or goes through "P" clamps. This code will flash the stop sign with an audible warning. Measure the ohms of the temp sensor (on the engine air intake tube). Measure across the terminals and from each terminal to ground. Post results as well as the air temperature there Sunny Cal and how hot the engine is. Obviously if the issue is not happening it may read OK. Or you could try a sensor. They are only $30. Unfortunately the code can only be cleared with Service Advisor. If you know someone with a Truck scanner that can read J1939 protocol then they might be able to clear it.
Thanks. Gonna go pick up a sensor this morning and check everything out.
Went and swapped out the sensor. Old one was the original and looked absolutely toasted. Inspected harness pretty thoroughly and couldn’t find any problem spots visually...nothing bound, pinched, worn thru, broken, or loose. Like a knucklehead I left home without a multimeter so couldn’t test the ohms. I did warm up machine and put it to work under a heavy load in the dirt. The alarm came on again. Assuming it was a bad sensor, will the DTC go from ACTIVE to STORED only after so many starts and that damn alarm shutoff? I don’t know anyone with a truck scanner, but am trying to find one to purchase for that protocol. Figured it’d probably be cheaper than paying Deere for a field tech to come out at $150 an hour and portal to portal.
Also temps out here have been averaging mid-high 70’s. 60’s today.
It will go to stored at a key cycle unless it is currently active.
Where can i find a list of service codes? i have a copy of tm1691 and don't see it in there. i have a similar loader, SN 884891 with codes 76, 68, 74. can't find any info on these codes. this post got me this far but, so thanks for the help getting service codes., but i can't find what there are
Welcome to HEF Brian ! In TM1691 go to section 9015, section 20, Engine Diagnostic Codes. 68 - 1569.31 Engine Derate 74 - 1076.06 Pump Solenoid Circuit Severely Shorted 76 - 1076.10 Pump Solenoid Moderately Shorted