Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 CAT 277 C ECM 8 Volt DC supply supply low

Luke Klinefelter · 2020-10-21 16:47

Hello all, Currently working on a 277C that is having a speed issue. It’s currently moving very slow. All the wiring harnesses have been replaced speed sensors have been replaced. But I’m throwing multiple codes for sensors being out of range. But I’m thinking that the ECM having a voltage issue is causing most of these I will include pictures of all the codes. I am a heavy equipment mechanic in the Marine corps and our technical manual arent as good as the one most of you have out there in the civilian world when it comes to trouble shooting things with equipment so if you all could help me out that would be great! Thank you

Replies25
  1. #1Nige2020-10-23 12:16

    Here's the Troubleshooting Procedure. If you want a complete Electrical Schematic to go with it then post a Serial Number.

  2. #2Nige2020-10-24 11:05

    BTW the rest of those sensor "faults" on your screen shots are not "out of range". Each of those FMI13 indicates that a sensor is performiing correctly but requires calibration. I agree that the FMI04 for the 8v sensor power supply needs to be fixed before moving on to anything else.

  3. #3Luke Klinefelter2020-10-24 11:43

    Nige... So I got the 8v supply code to go away, started unplugging and plugging sensors and it went away after that. But I still have a TPS above normal code along with the calibration codes. I know their is definitely something up with the TPS because when I go above half throttle the engine starts to surge until you bring it back down to idle. Also so I went and recalibrated the joysticks right. Well when I recalibrated them it made all the calibration codes go away but then whenever I went and turned it back on and moved the joysticks they all came back. I’m not sure if theirs just a gremlin in this thing or not but it sure seems like it lol

  4. #4Nige2020-10-25 07:38

    What Failure mode Indication accompanies the Diagnostic Code for the TPS.? 03, 04, 08 or 13..? EDIT: Also be aware that the TPS will also potentially be affected by any issues in the 8v power supply. The fact that a Code clears then the same or a different Code returns when you key off and key on again sounds potentially like problems with continuity in an electrical connector to me. What's the machine Serial Number..? I think you're going to require an Electrical Schematic and start to go through the main machine harness connectors one by one, at least as a start. Also might be worthwile looking at (and cleaning) ground connections - of which there will be several.

  5. #5Luke Klinefelter2020-10-26 11:41

    Nige..... it’s a FMI 3 ive got the wiring diagrams so I’ll start looking

  6. #6Nige2020-10-26 13:10

    Here's the procedure for it.

  7. #7Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 17:34

    Nige... so still working on this MTL so I got a new TPS as the old one I determined was bad. So with new TPS plugged in it says the throttle is open at 91% but the throttle isn’t even being pressed at all. With the TPS unplugged it says it’s at 90% so I’m thinking theirs an issue with the signal wire. I’ve tested for continuity from the start of the signal wire at the TPS to J1 Pin 24 and continuity is present. With J1 connected to the ECM I test for continuity again from the signal wire at TPS to all pins on J2. Continuity was present at J2 Pin 39 which is supposed to be the 8 volt power supply. With cab power on I tested for voltage at Pin 39 and I received a reading of 0.018 volts. Not really sure if their is something grounded out somewhere but still need some sort of assistance here. I followed the steps for the 91-3 code as well just so you know.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2020-11-19 17:44

    Was the machine recently calibrated theres a calibration for the tps also

  9. #9Nige2020-11-19 18:10

    Was the new TPS a genuine Cat part..? Part Number..? Connect J1 at the ECM. Disconnect the TPS from the machine harness. With key on, do you have 8V between the yellow wire & the white wire in the machine harness at the TPS connector.? Remember that the Orange signal wire from the TPS goes to ECM Conn J2 Pin 24, not J1/24 ........ Also 8V Supply and Return are ECM Conn J1 Pins 44 & 45. What is the Cat Publication reference of the Schematic you are using..? Also your machine S/N just to check the schematic is the correct one, I don't see anywhere above where you ever mentioned it.

  10. #10Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 19:12

    Cannot recalibrate anything with code 91-3 present

  11. #11Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 19:16

    TPS was a genuine CAT part, I don’t have the part # on hand will get it tomorrow. Also I will give that stuff a look at tomorrow but you have to remember being in the Marine Corps I’m only given so much I know I have the Marine corps Technical Manual they provide for this 277C but I’ve been kinda relying on your guys source out there. I’ll get you the S/N tomorrow

  12. #12Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 19:17

    Also to answer your question no nothing has been recalibrated since the 91-3 code is present

  13. #13Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 19:24

    Also Nige thanks for correcting me I keep getting those 2 pig tails swapped but The J2 pig tail bolt is stripped and I’m trying to figure a way to get that out. I saw the retaining ring that’s inside above the threads inside the pig tail do you know if I can take that out so I can die the threads?

  14. #14Nige2020-11-19 19:30

    Post the S/N and I'll send you the appropriate electrical schematic for it. While you're looking at Part Numbers see if you can find one on the old TPS. Can't hurt to have that as well.

  15. #15Luke Klinefelter2020-11-19 19:35

    I’ll look on the old TPS but the old one was definitely OEM but the new TPS we got from CAT looks updated compared to the old one

  16. #16Nige2020-11-19 20:31

    I'm more interested in both the Part Numbers just to confirm that what you got was right for the machine. Knowing the P/N came off it is just another part of the puzzle...........

  17. #17Nige2020-11-20 06:45

    You mean the little half-moon spring clip that holds the fixing bolt in place in the connector.? It should just flip out with something small, sharp, & pointy behind it.

  18. #18Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 10:51

    It’s a full circle Nige. S/N KCC00006

  19. #19Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 10:58

    Old TPS P/N 160-2443-02 New TPS P/N 266-1467-04

  20. #20Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 11:15

    Also its J2 pigtail that the bolt is stripped

  21. #21Nige2020-11-20 11:23

    OK, so you have a Military version. The civilian equivalent for parts & service information is JWF. KCC00006 was built on the same day as JWF00255, 20/07/2007. There are two Serial Number ranges for JWF electrical schematics - below & above 1459. So I'm going to say your machine falls into the lower range. I'll send you the corresponding electrical schematic. Regarding the TPS - 266-1467 is the field replacement for 160-2443 so you got the right one.

  22. #22Nige2020-11-20 11:33

    So back to where we were on the TPS. Do not dsconnect the TPS from the machine harness. use probes to measure up the back side of the machine harness connector to get to Pins A & B inside it. Key on. Do you have 8V measured between the P769 yellow wire and the P770 white wire in the machine harness.? NOTE: I know the sensor says "Ground" on the middle pin but it is actually a return back to the ECM, not to machine ground. Don't get confused.

  23. #23Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 11:52

    Ok so what about the stripped bolt for J2?

  24. #24Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 11:53

    I gotta take care of that first

  25. #25Luke Klinefelter2020-11-20 11:59

    Nige, if you want just hit me up on Facebook and I can call you that’ll make it easier on my part