Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 Hitachi ZX200 Excavator

jcaseytimmons · 2024-12-01 17:03

I bought this excavator a few months ago and it's been running great. Yesterday, I went to start. It started right off as always, but seemed to idle higher than normal, then stalled out after about 5 seconds running. I checked all the control panel, then started again - same result. Tried 2 more times, same result - starts right off, then stalls out after 5 seconds. The Stepping Motor is clicking during this time, after it stalls. I bled the water from the sedimenter and checked all over to see if a wire has been eaten by a rat, but everything looks intact. Could the Throttle Control Panel have suddenly went out? The machine ran great just a couple days earlier. Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me. The machine is 20 miles in the country and 2 hours from the nearest tech.

Replies6
  1. #1reganj2024-12-01 20:00

    Many threads on fuel starvation if this is the problem. Have you done anything to determine if it is getting fuel?

  2. #2jcaseytimmons2024-12-01 22:09

    I’m a novice mechanic at best, so diagnostic knowledge is very weak. However, the way it started multiple times the same way, it served as though it was getting fuel, at least at the start, or the successive starts would’ve become more difficult, or not at all. So, I focused more on wiring.

  3. #3Gary Layton2024-12-02 10:23

    You should look at fuel starvation first, I think. I have a CAT 320CL, 2006...bought it 2 years ago. It ran strong until I had recent service done (head gaskets replaced and hydraulic PRV things fixed). I got it home and it ran great for about an hour then started bogging down under any load. CAT/Yancey took it back to the shop and found this...it was tank gunk...rust, algae, whatever. They removed the fuel tank, pressure washed it, cleaned out fuel lines, changed filters, etc. Now it runs great. Check your fuel sysyem.

  4. #4Simon C2024-12-02 18:51

    Wise advice in above picture, before starting the parts cannon! Simon C

  5. #5reganj2024-12-02 21:02

    Top Right of screen has a SEARCH function

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-12-03 02:40

    Curious if the engine has a low coolant or low oil pressure shut off feature? The M11 in my dump truck will start and quit if the coolant is low and for other reasons. The more serious it will quit after about 5 seconds.