I have a 2008 160D lc that produces black smoke under load at any throttle setting over idle. I have had this machine for 4 years now and it had this issue when i got it and it has returned with a vengeance. I cleaned and went though the entire machine when i got it and ran fuel system cleaner through it straight which cleared it up at that time. I have had the injectors out and pop tested them (not professionally but to my eye spray pattern seemed fine). I have sealed and fixed the exhaust. Replaced the turbo when it went out. Hooked up service advisor and repaired a hydraulic pressure sensor. Replaced the intake air temp sensor. Replaced all the turbo boots, and pressure tested the intercooler. Getting boosted air to the intake. Saw nothing out of the ordinary on service adviser to my knowledge as i went through all the tests. So much black smoke under load you cant even touch anything without looking like a coal miner. I appreciate any ideas anyone can throw my way. Attached some photos from service advisor.
When is the last time you replaced the Air Filter?
About 3 times recently due to the smoke plugging it up. Tried it without even for a moment to no avail
As a test only try temporarily bypassing the intercooler , maybe it’s partially plugged after the turbo failure. Check the turbo boost. Spec is 12-15 psi , high idle in HP mode and slowly activate arm in over relief. You likely won’t acheive that with so much unburned fuel as you describe. Explain how you did that, how did you trigger the injectors to fire ?
I used an electronic pop tester with a filtered fuel cup that allowed me to see the spray pattern. I am no specialist but there was no dribbling or failure to open. I will try bypassing the intercooler but i could feel the boosted air coming from the exit of the intercooler when i had the boots off. I was wondering if the fact that the service monitor in the cab not showing these 4 values in the attached picture has anything to do with this issue. The wiring is suspect on this machine but i do not get any codes from the monitor
Engine torque is not an available data point in this excavator application . There is no manifold air pressure (map) sensor in this 160DLC application so it makes sense there is no boost pressure reading. I am also questioning how much data the ECU shares with the monitor. Are you able to read the manifold air temperature sensor (B9) located at the cylinder head in the service monitor ? You may be better off to look for the intake air temp and the manifold air temperature readings using Service Advisor.
If temporarily bypassing the intercooler has no effect and you feel air quantity is not an issue then fuel is next. You could test run the engine using known quality clean fuel from 5 gallon pail. If all that pans out then I would highly suggest trying to have the electronic injectors tested at a fuel shop or go remans.