Does anyone have any direct experience with a 2008 or 2009 Cummins ISX, specifically with regard to the new emission controls? We're looking @ a new KW with an ISX and with all the trouble in the ISBs, I'm concerned about the ISX.
We have a 2009 pete 365 with a 410 ISM Cummins. Only have about 600 hrs on it, but seems to be doing well. My Driver loves it. The Regeneration takes a little getting used to, but the truck runs so clean that the inside of the stacks still shine.
Do you know when the truck is in regen, other than watching the fuel guage drop? On my '08 6.7 ISB, the dpf and external egr has cuased some soot and turbo issues. I removed and cleaned my turbo @ < 5,000 miles because the egr stuffing 600* gasses and soot back into the motor.
Yes it tells you when its ready. You have a window of time to do it in, if you miss that window it will do it itself the next time you set air brakes. Most of time it sits in the yard to regen because we do a lot of local stuff, never really out on the highway. Mines in a mixer, it has more hours than miles at this point, have to watch I guess.
what exactly happens when it regens? I was talking to a guy with a new 3500 Dodge with a Cummins and he said it will just start pouring smoke out
The truck pretty much sits there and High idles for a little over a half hour, I only saw it regen once and there was no smoke at all, of course its still low mileage, low hours. Exhaust temp gets up to around 1400 degrees I think. Like I said before, its amazing that the stacks are still shiny inside.
there shouldn't be smoke... what they are doing is injecting fuel on the exaust stroke to burn out the soot particulate in the DPF. ashes should come out. what color is the smoke?
Word on the street is that upcoming anti-idle laws are going to cause a lot of grief for service bodies........... has anyone experienced any of this with the new diesels?¿
you are an idiot If It's smokin it's broken you might see a slight haze out of the exhaust but that's it... The ecm decides when it is time for a regen by reading DOC & DPF temps, along with DPF differential pressure. It is up to you, the equipment operator to respond to the regen warning lamps. P.S. STUPID ASS COMENT BEFORE THIS ... THE DPF COLLECTS ASH & BURNS SOOT !
parked vs. active or passive regen Most cases the vehicle is loaded & traveling @ speed... you don't even know it is in a regen. The unit makes enuff exh temp to burn off the soot by itself, it can also use the aid of a hydrocarbon doser... "in cylinder dosing on the ISB,C & L for EPA 07"... ECM controlled dosing of HC downstream of the turbo for I series "ISX & ISM" for EPA 07. If the unit cannot meet temp/load settings during use then it is necassary to initiate a "parked regen" w/ the dash switch. "except RVs" Hope this answers your question although everyone except IH will be using regen for emissions come 2010. Don't let the small engines sour you on the big engines... They are t-totally different altogether.
recalls & trps for your engine I HATE to sound like a knowitall but Dodge should have sent you notice of a temporary repair practice & service campaign on your engine regarding EGR valve issues & EGR delivery pipe hoses. Turbo sector shaft movement too...
We have 15-20 of the those engines in our fleet. We have more trouble out of them than we do with the Cat powered ones. I dont think they are all bad, and the drivers say they run fine. The fuel milage is very poor, as all the new engines are proving to be that way.
I have one that recently went off warranty and is now in my hands. I has had a rough year, alot of time at the dealer. Getting reprogrammed, a new turbo and finally right before the warranty was up it cracked it's DPM filter and now the stacks are black. I still haven't figured out how to clean them, maybe oven cleaner? oh yeah and it has a low coolant sensor in the coolant res. that went bad . BUT it is a really cool red engine.
after reading this I think that I will keep my old 88 pete with the Big Cam IV as long as Big Brother will let me run it down the road I think that the newer trucks are a PITA and not as good as the older trucks was more problems wioth either Regen or computer problems . So sad that we have allowed the gov and all the tree huggers to do this to us .
I agree with that. It is funny how our old 1992 Pete with 3406B at 425HP will out pull our 2008 Pete with 550 HP. The trucks are comparable on fuel milage.