I went to look at this case skid steer and the owner didn't know the hours. Instead of the hours it shows a temperature, and he didn't know how to change it so it shows the hours. Does anyone know how I can set it up to show hours? Anything else I should look for other than the obvious?
Buttons on dash should scroll thru. Drive motor oil and condition
These are incredibly powerful for their size as was the wheeled version. Its a midsize machine with a large frame engine. As mentioned by Ozarkag, the drives are probably the weakest part of the package. If the oil in the finals were changed on time, that helps. Series 3 is a pilot controlled machine. You can switch the pattern with a pattern change kit that came from CASE. Not sure you find one of those any more, but maybe if your not happy with whatever pattern it happened to come with.
He owned the machine for 9 years for clearing snow. He said he put maybe 100 hours on it. The oil for the finals have not been changed since he owned it. He is asking 25k CDN. What are these going for in good condition? It needs new tracks and the lap bar sensor replaced. It has H type controls. Are the final drives weaker on these cases models than others brand skid steers??
Those low houred, clean Series 3 machines are quite valuable, Series 3 machines were only made from 08-10, and of course the industry didn't move many machines in those years. Those drives were Rexroth if I remember correctly. They were decent, but all track machines of those years saw more failures than they do now. I am assuming it has a cab? If it does and only has minimal hours, for that kind of money (20K US?). Maybe even without a Enclosed cab, I would buy it in minute. If all he did was push snow, I would not be afraid of the drives, even if he didn't change the fluid. You could drain the fluid and mandate that its clean prior to the sale going through if your concerned about it. They only take about a quart of fluid per drive. I am an H pattern guy (that is working on changing to ISO) but as long as your good with H, its not an issue. You may call a dealer and see if any of those pattern change components are still available if you must have ISO. As I said above, they had a 4.5L engine that was used in the 590, it was just detuned for the 440, 450 and 465. It runs at a fraction of what its capable of. The limiting facture in a CTL is you may loose traction (because that is a medium sized machine) way before you ever lose power.
My early 440CT has C block tracks and I can spin them at a dead idle. It really does not need 89 horse power but I like having it.