Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 case 450 series 3 Iveco engine problems

Chris123! · 2022-05-14 16:13

Hi, thanks in advance. My 450 smokes white, diesel rich smoke at idle, rev up, and all phases in between. It runs really rough and won’t reach full rev. I started out thinking I either had an air leak or my injection pump was out of time. I’ve replaced all filters air and fuel, replaced the lift pump, all suction lines from the tank to pump, had the Bosch injection pump rebuilt and still no change. Other things to note and things I have checked: it doesn’t use oil, the turbo has absolutely no play and spins freely, the engine block vent is free from obstruction and is working properly. I need some other ideas of things to check. I’m at a loss with this one. 2400 hour machine

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-05-16 04:14

    Have you tried an injector cut out test.?? Get it running and smoking.. Break loose the steel line from the pump.. 1@ a time and watch the smoke.. RE TIGHTEN..& move to the next one.. It’ll be a little messy so have a rag or 2 to block the fuel.. Good luck

  2. #2Vetech632022-05-16 07:30

    What ^ said

  3. #3Chris123!2022-05-16 08:51

    No I have not, I will try this and post results.

  4. #4John C.2022-05-16 12:53

    Does that engine have a common rail injection system? If so it would be dangerous to crack any fittings on the high pressure side of the fuel system. Plus if a common rail system, there were be software in the system to allow cylinder cut outs.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2022-05-16 19:16

    Oh hell.. I didn’t think of THAT.. Listen to John.!!

  6. #6Chris123!2022-05-16 23:55

    Hey guys I think I found the issue. So I revisited the fuel lines and thing I found the culprit. I took my old fuel lines and cut them and placed a clear piece of tube in the line to look for air. There isn’t much but there is definitely air. Not sure how I missed it the last time I checked. I noticed that the suction line coming into my lift pump is missing a copper crush washer. Looked up the specs and it definitely shows one. I’m guessing this is where the air is coming from since the lift pump is new. Once I get the washer installed I’ll post the results.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-05-17 05:00

    If memory serves me correctly, those washers are metric.. Either 12mm or 14mm.. Best to take bbolt with u to MAKE SURE u get the right ones..

  8. #8John C.2022-05-17 22:06

    They are standard copper washers you can get at any Napa store.