Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 cat 272C having controll issues

1ajs · 2021-06-27 08:26

when i turn on my cat 272C skid steer 2300hrs i get a yellow triangular light that blinks and i cant use my bucket but can drive around in mode 1 if i put it in mode 2 i cant drive around but can move my amrs up and down but cant adjust the angle of my bucket had a heavy equipment mechanic look he thought was the altinator so orderd one changed it and the fluids/ filters and air filters didnt fix he gave up and left scared to call cat being in a remote place

Replies27
  1. #1Vetech632021-06-27 09:31

    You didn't have a very good technician then. Post your machine serial number.

  2. #21ajs2021-06-27 09:42

    cat0272ctred01023

  3. #3Vetech632021-06-27 09:44

    Is there any additional lights that are lit on any other panel?

  4. #41ajs2021-06-27 10:09

    only the one light thats on the left side besides the 1 or 2 and Park when i have the break on

  5. #5Nige2021-06-27 14:17

    Take a photo of the panel with the lights on and post it up

  6. #61ajs2021-06-27 21:40
  7. #7Nige2021-06-27 22:14

    Question: When you first turn on the key and the panel self-tests, do ALL sixteen icons light up on the panel in the top LH corner of the cab.?

  8. #81ajs2021-06-27 22:32

    think so

  9. #9Nige2021-06-27 22:42

    Need to know one way or the other, because it all depends on one or more of the other lights NOT working when the self-test is done. Put another way. The yellow "Master Fault" exclamation point light in your photo normally lights up along with one or more other indicator on that same panel to give you an idea which system or systems is playing up. If one or more of the other indicators are not working then it is a case of fixing them first and see where that takes you.

  10. #10heymccall2021-06-27 23:33

    Sounds like a failed joystick sensor.

  11. #111ajs2021-06-27 23:38

    ill have to look tomarrow if i make it to site 150kms away my poor poor skidsteer

  12. #12Nige2021-06-27 23:53

    That was my thought also, but I wanted to make sure if there wasn't a warning light not working that might point elsewhere. The clue is in changing from #1 to #2 joystick pattern different things work. So the systems at the business end are all working but aren't getting signals from the joystick.

  13. #131ajs2021-06-29 13:18

    All lights working

  14. #141ajs2021-06-29 13:20

    Right hand joystick does nothing sept the button for tools when in 2 mode and nothing in 1 sept that button

  15. #15Nige2021-06-29 13:27

    That was the last possibility. So now the only option is to get ET hooked up to it and see what Diagnostic Codes are Active. As HMC said above it sounds like a position sensor in the base of the joystick has gone AWOL. The bad news is those sensors are not available separately and the fix is a new base @ around $750.

  16. #161ajs2021-06-29 13:35

    Theres 2 joysticks

  17. #171ajs2021-06-29 13:37

    Is there a way to pull codes with out dealing with the cat dealer who wants2-4K to come out and pull them

  18. #18Nige2021-06-29 14:19

    The only way I know of is using ET or the auxiliary (optional extra) panel in the top RH corner of the cab that your machine doesn’t have. The options I see that you have are:- Dealer visit. Independent mechanic who has ET. Take a chance and replace the joystick base with a new one and hope you pick the right one.

  19. #191ajs2021-06-29 14:54

    just pulled every fuse and cleaned them alarm went away works but.... now when I lift it creeps down like it’s getting a signal from right stick as can hear it sending fluid to it to go down. also now I cant switch to mode 2 till it trips that alarm again. can get rid of the alarm while operating by pulling fuse 9 and putting back into place while running but only good for a minut or 2.prolly not best work around but I’ll have to pull the stick and look I gues. Txs for a direction I think my other thought may of confirmed the place to look

  20. #20Nige2021-06-29 15:01

    The only other option I can think of to get at Codes is if you can haul the machine into the dealer and have them do it as it sits on the trailer. I don't know if that's an option for you. If an electrical schematic for the machine would be any help then please ask. I can send you one.

  21. #211ajs2021-06-29 16:52

    Pulled the stick So there’s a rubber coated peic it looks beat up guessing that’s the part u said u can’t get on its own?

  22. #22Nige2021-06-29 18:00

    That's the one - #2 in the illustration below. Is that the LH or RH one.? The Part Numbers are different. For your machine 269-0258 is the LH base, 269-0257 is RH. The number may well be on that white tag in your photo. I was wrong on the price. $465 whichever of the two Part Numbers it is. Personally I wouldn't be replacing that part unless I had diagnostic information that clearly indicated it was bad but the decision is yours not mine.

  23. #231ajs2021-06-29 19:56

    Reason I pulled it out to look was it was actually getting worse then noticed if I jiggle the stick around or hold in certain positions it would come in out of that alarm. The pic above is after I cleaned that sensor it was covered in pebbles and dirt all black. Put it back in and now it’s worse after cleaning

  24. #24Nige2021-06-29 22:18

    Did you find a Part Number on that tag.?

  25. #251ajs2021-07-09 14:31

    that just hs a made in mexico on it with a 00000221153 c 008372 083 for numbers on that tage only other number i find is on the bottom half of the joystick that part sits inside of 269-0262

  26. #26Nige2021-07-09 16:27

    That's the Part Number for the complete RH joystick assembly including the handle. The base shown in your photo above is P/N 269-0257. The base for the LH joystick assembly is a different P/N - 269-0258.

  27. #271ajs2021-07-27 14:17

    Orderd that part and it came in yesterday just swapped it and works again yellow light is now gone no other warning lights now the old Sensor think it could rebuild it I took my time taking the silicone off to redo it?