Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2008 cat 420e backhoe stuck in first gear

Landbutchr ยท 2022-12-24 23:03

It started the week being difficult to shift in to second gear but now the shifter appears to be in second although it is stuck hard in first gear . any thoughts out there gents

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2022-12-25 15:49

    Please define "difficult to shift". Hard to move the shifter, transmission doesn't engage when shifter is moved, etc ,etc? Also post a Serial Number. It makes finding info easier.

  2. #2Landbutchr2022-12-25 21:20

    Thanks for your interest in our dilemma . First of all the machine is a Cat 420E with a serial # of PRA 0376. As afar as describing the "difficult to shift " comment , it started out as easy to move the shifter with all other gears engaging trouble free with second gear seeming to be just out of the reach of the shifter . like you could feel it starting to engage but was just out of reach on the shifter throw with numerous attempts in would eventually drop in . it was like that for a couple of days until while trying to get it in to second the shifter locked up tight with the shifter apparently in the second gear position while the transmission is stuck in first .Now the shifter is locked up tight and won't move in any direction .So now the machine operates fine but only in first gear

  3. #3Nige2022-12-26 11:39

    Your S/N is missing a digit after the "PRA", there should be 5 digits not 4. Are you talking about the "twistgrip" handle #16 being difficult to rotate.?

  4. #4Vetech632022-12-26 12:58

    I'm taking this as your talking about the floor range shifter?

  5. #5Landbutchr2022-12-26 20:20

    No Sir, On my machine that lever would be to change direction between forward and reverse . The lever that we are having trouble with would be the gear shift lever described as number 11 on your diagram. It has a standard "H" four speed pattern and the difficulty is it would'nt go into second gear . but now pattern wise it looks like it is in second gear but in reality it is stuck in first . As far as the serial # goes the PRA "s were a short run of machines that qualified for tier three status, ours being number 376 if there should be a fifth number I am not sure what that might be maybe another zero.

  6. #6Landbutchr2022-12-26 20:30

    Yes sir it is the floor shifter. I believe that the shift forks have become stuck together but there does not seem to be any easy access to the compartment

  7. #7Vetech632022-12-26 20:51

    You could either have a bent shift fork or the synchronizer has froze up on first gear. You will have to pull that transmission to do any repair I believe.

  8. #8Landbutchr2022-12-26 22:58

    Well Shoot, I was thinking that maybe I could access those parts through a cover or something, but the parts book doesn't show anything like that. It does however show access to a spring detent ball on one of the shift rods. I am hoping that I can drop that ball out and then possibly pop that fork back in place. If this was one of my old Muncie four speeds I would already be back in business !!