Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2011 310SJ stalling

Canadian_digger ยท 2015-03-01 12:26

I bought a 2011 310SJ in the fall. The backhoe sat in a field of over a year with no use. It has been running fine till about a week ago. Sometimes at low idle with a load on the engine it will stall or rpm will drop to 400-500 and recover without stalling. A little more info. Not sure if it has to do with the problem. About a month ago I was getting water in the filter and warning light would come on. So I drained the tank about half gallon of water came out of the tank. Then about a week later same thing happen again. So I drained the tank again. This time about a 1/4 gallon of water came out. Then the stalling problem began so I changed both fuel filters and no change. Other than the stalling machine runs fine. Any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2015-03-02 12:17

    How is that much water getting into the fuel system ? That problem needs to be eliminated first. Check the vent in the fuel tank cap and be sure it isn't plugged causing a vacuum when the engine is running. Drain the fuel tank and look for anything that may be restricting fuel from going out. Open all the fuel lines up and blow them out with compressed air. Are you using bio-diesel ? Put a good dose of fuel conditioner in the tank along with fresh fuel. That would be a starting point. There could be other issues causing the engine to die.

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-03-02 14:42

    I had the same issue but my tractor , a 416C may be a totally different animal. Now that I am aware of it , about twice a year I will have to change the primary fuel water separator. The engine gets lazy especially when using the loader. Is the J model Deere an electronic engine or does it use the high pressure rail fuel system. Water is hard on these systems. Its hard on all of them. Man I hope its turns out to be something simple. My next hoe , I'm looking hard at the Deere.

  3. #3hookedondiesel2015-03-03 06:54

    Its been pretty cold lately, sounds like the fuel is gelling. If you already "fixed" the water in the tank problem, etc....it may need some heat.