Hey guys, new to this forum and looking forward to being a member! I just bought a 2012 Cat 242b3 with 710 hrs. Unfortunately it didn't come with the manual. I.D #*CAT0242BPSRS02222* I've used it a few hours already and it runs great, but it has a hydraulic leak. I lifted the cab and the leak seems to be coming from the big plastic hex fitting coming out of the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir behind the seat. This fitting has a larger diameter rubber hose on it, maybe 3" or so. The steady drip is coming from the base of this big hex fitting where it mates to the reservoir. I am HOPING there is an o-ring that has gone bad. What's the best way to attack this? My thought was to just drain the hydro fluid and pull that fitting apart, see if I can figure out why its leaking. However, the belly of the machine is such a mess from fluid and dirt that I can't even figure out where to drain the fluid from. Any tips? Once I fix the leak, Is there a way to safely clean the inside of the machine? I can't stand how filthy it is in there. its driving me crazy already. thanks in advance guys!
Can’t answer your questions, but here’s a manual if that helps https://www.betterrentals.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/skidsteer-cat-216b.pdf
I suspect it'll be the 5W-6388 Seal-O-Ring.
I don't see a better look at the strainer
Heymccall... You nailed it man! That is the only schematic I can find that shows the part, but it doesn't have a damn line pointing at it. The line that points to parts "4-6" is RIGHT next to the big hex part that is leaking.. How the heck do you decipher all of the parts listed there that are not labeled?
Looks like there is an improved O-Ring (3.5mm vs 3.0mm thickness). See attached. The photos in the document give a better view of the strainer and the O-Ring.
Nige... and Mcall, you guys are hero's. Nige, May I ask how you found the pdf you attached? That is incredibly detailed and helpful. I cannot thank you enough sir.
If you are looking for an Operation & Maintenance Manual you can download one in pdf form from Cat. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ Click on "Continue as Guest" when the popup appears Type SEBU8495 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. 3 options are available from $69. Download you can get immediately, the other two will attract S&H charges on top of the price.
I have an account on the Cat online parts & service system, aka "SIS".
Nige has a dealer account on SIS
Surprised that bulletin doesn't list the 242. Maybe that's how I missed it?
I was surprised by this as well... The 242 must be an oddball machine or something?
I saw that. However the 242B3 uses the same Part Number of hydraulic tank, strainer, and fittings, etc. So logic dictates the same upgrade ought to apply. Unfortunately it's not unusual these days. Often service documentation does not cover the full range of machines to which common sense would indicate that it ought to apply. A sign of the times unfortunately.
Not quite, I left the dealer world a few years ago. But I do have a bit of experience finding info on SIS that I've acquired over the years.
Well thank you again! Everyone has been super helpful and I appreciate it a ton. I am thinking about just siphoning a little more hydro fluid out of the tank until it gets near the level of that strainer, then maybe I can pull that hose off the strainer without draining all of the fluid through the drain hose. My buddy said that it may be a more involved job to drain all the hydraulic fluid. He mentioned it may introduce air into the system...? but I read the procedure in the manual you pointed me to and it sounds pretty straight forward? Although I am having a heck of a time finding the drain valve on the manifold under the pump. I need to clean up the area and see if that helps.
I was probably just lucky but... In Feb I bought a 236B3 with a leak in the same place as yours. I bought it at auction and overlooked how bad the leak was or I may have passed on the machine. Anyhow, I later loosened the hose clamp, tightened the fitting into the tank (RH threads) about 1/4 turn, retightened the clamp and have had no noticeable leakage since. I hope your luck is this good as well if you try this.
Unfortunately I already tried tightening it last week. That seemed to make the leak worse. Which makes me hope its just the o ring. Glad yours was that simple though! Mind if I ask what you picked that machine up for at the auction? I thought about going that route as well.
I paid $13000 for a machine with just over 1000 hours. Overall good condition. How did I do?
Haha you stole that thing. I paid 22k for mine. Its a 2012 with 700 hrs. Nice work sir.