Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 d4k showing code

Landbutchr ยท 2024-07-19 21:45

Hey folks I have a 2012 d4k KMM00184 showing a 3407-4 code . what does that tell me /

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2024-07-20 05:27

    3407-4 - EGR Valve Position Sensor : Voltage Above Normal. Troubleshooting procedure attached.

  2. #2Landbutchr2024-07-20 10:55

    Thanks for the reply Nige . The machine in question is currently offered for sale in a local equipment auction that will take place at around noon today (PST) . In your opinion are we talking about a potentially expensive Rabbit hole that we could be headed down ? Bear in mind that this will be my first suaree in tier four tech. I am nearly seventy years old and maybe I should just retire

  3. #3Nige2024-07-20 11:13

    Sorry I'm not qualified to express an opinion on complexity/cost of diagnostics/repair. You need help from one of the Tier 4 experts.

  4. #4Landbutchr2024-07-20 11:24

    Thanks again sir The material that you sent has been a big help already. I can read between the lines there and see that the repair could go either way.

  5. #5Nige2024-07-20 11:39

    Absolutely. It could be nothing more than an electrical fault.

  6. #6CM19952024-07-20 12:32

    First I am no mechanic nor can give a repair estimate however an EGR valve for our D3 is $1K + tax if that helps any. Best WAG is the EGR is sooted up and won't open and close properly.

  7. #7Landbutchr2024-07-20 16:42

    That is what my compadres are leaning towards also although when I look at the engine the EGR and neighboring components all appear to be recently replaced. I just now returned from the auction and the dozer in question fetched nearly 20k over my budget even with the suspicious code