I bought this truck it cranks over good but won't start had this code on my scanner. Says mechanical systems not ready. Vin is 1HTWDAAN9CJ615484 has 7.4 liter engine. Any ideas what would cause this code?
Sorry this is a 7.6 engine
VIN says its a Maxxforce DT. Is there any more info on that fault code?
I looked for a spn077 code couldn't find it, everything but that one.
Hopefully you can make out pic?
That fault code does not seen to exist. I would contact the NexLink support people and see what they have to say. Possibly your scanner needs a software update.
I see SPN0277
I looked for that also, couldn't find it.
Can you use the cruse buttons and get any codes on the dash? Check small power and ground wires from the batteries to as far as you can follow them. Probably have multiple connections along the way. Only takes one bad one.
I got codes thru cruise active codes: Spn. 51, 3464, 132, and 158 Previous codes: 2791, 597, 1552, 2000 and 520465. Where do I look these up?
You can only retrieve body codes with the cruise switches. With each fault displayed in the instrument cluster there should be a SA number for Source Address. The SPN and a FMI numbers as well. You need all three to look up what they mean.
Pics posted below of active codes
SPN or Suspect Parameter Number 51 is throttle sensor. FMI or Failure Mode Identifier 11 is Root Cause unknown. SA or source address 0 is engine. The instrument panel can't tell you what the problem with the throttle sensor is.
Did this truck sit for a while with dead batteries or disconnected batteries?
Yes sat for atleast 6 months
If it sat for several months without battery power to the "Keep Alive" wire to the engine ECU it will probably need to have the engine ECM reflashed. A lot of the parameters will go to the default setting and there are a lot of them. Reflashing is faster than manually resetting them all. The mass air flow sensor will need recalibration as well. However the engine should still start and run. There is a throttle body on the intake manifold where the charge air tube from the cooler connects. The throttle plate closes when you shut the engine off. If it is stuck closed it will stop the engine from starting. It might be a good idea to pull the rubber tube off and the key on and look down the throttle body and see if the plate opens.
Thinking back like said above^^, U.S. Foods had a MaxForce that set in our yard dead for a month. By the time they picked it up it needed re-flash.
How do you reflash or manually reset??
I looked at butterfly today and it was open. It doesn't move at all when cranking. With key on engine off it is open.
That's good the throttle plate needs to be open to start. To reflash the ECM you need Navistar's NavCal software and connection to their mainframe plus a laptop and a communication adapter. To manually reset parameters you need a laptop with a Maxxforce compatible program and a communication adapter. The mass air flow sensor also needs to be recalibrated. Your scanner should give you a software version number at startup or there may be another way of accessing it. Contact the scanner manufacturer support phone number and see if you can get it updated if it needs to be. Otherwise you need to get it scanned and see why it will not start. There could be a number of reasons.
I finally go back to working on this truck. I had the dealer come out and scan it and they tell me the voltage going to the computer is only 2.6 volts and it should be 12 volts. He suggested looking for bad wiring. All wiring is good above battery and I have 3 brand new batteries and engine does crank over very good. Does anyone have wiring diagram to the ECM and of the ECM? I would like to test for voltage right at the input of ECM.
Is the VIN you posted earlier correct? According to the VIN the engine is a Maxxforce DT inline six cylinder. Is it a Maxxforce 9 or 10? I believe you previously posted it was a 7.4 or 7.6 liter engine. The Maxxforce 7 is a V8.
That is the correct VIN. It is a straight 6 cylinder engine
There is a harness that comes from the batteries that supplies power to the engine ECM. International call it the clean power harness. It is notorious for rubbing through and having corrosion break the wires. There should be a fuse holder in the battery box with a 40 amp fuse in it supplying power to the clean power harness. It consists of three ten gauge wires two red positive wires and a white ground wire. there can be more than one three pin connector between the batteries and the main harness depending where the battery box is. you want to check the three pin plugs as well for expanded connectors. Getting the connector off the engine ECM is a pain as its above the starter at the rear of the engine.
There is a three pin connector in the main harness near the steering column where the clean power harness connects to the main harness. Follow it from the batteries and using the power and ground put a load on it. I use both filaments in a headlight bulb.
I was not able to locate that harness it all appears to be in split loom conduit. I hate to keep cutting into it as the casing looks fine. Any other ideas on where to look. Do the power wires go to relays or fuses before ecm?
Do you have the diagram of the ECM input wires. When my scanner is connected it shows only 9.8 volts. It cranks over fine but shuts down my scanner due to low voltage. If I knew which plug was feeding ECM I could trace easier. Thanks for any help
This should be the diagram you need. Maxxforce DT Diagram.pdf drive.google.com
DO NOT DAMAGE OR EXPAND ANY OF THE CONNECTORS IN THE ECM PLUG!!!! I strongly recommend not removing the connectors from the ECM. There are two power wires and a ground wire connected to the batteries that power the ECM. You need to start there looking for a problem. If the ECM is not powering up the starter relay gets its ground through the engine ECM so the starter will not crank the engine over if the engine ECM is not powering up. When you turn the key on can you hear the injector buzz test? The injector solenoids should buzz for five seconds. DOES THE BUZZ TEST HAPPEN???
I have traced the wires back close to ECM just wondering which plug going into the ECM powers it. It does crank over good and tach reads rpm cranking. With key on it reads about 9.5 volts on my scanner. When cranking goes below 3. With key on and I wiggle harness it moves voltage between 9.5 and 10.2. I'll check for buzz in AM
I do hear injectors buzzing with key on. Attached is pics of ECM. All wires up to tee in harness test good for 12.5 volt. Once in a while scanner will read 2.0 volts and up to 12.1. usually it reads 9.7ish. it cranks over good and tach reads rpm but won't fire at all. Attached is Pic of harness and ecm.
How long is the buzz test in seconds? I don't see any pics. Where is the battery box located?
For some reason pics won't upload. A
Posted pics of ECM. As far as buzz test my scanner won't do it. The wires in battery box appear good I've wiggled and tested voltage after the fuses up to near the ECM.
So at looking at diagram I should have 12 volts feeding the grey connector at ECM. Checked and highlighted on pin out in pic below. Since engine cracks over good is it safe to assume I have a good ground?
The scanner doesn't have anything to do with the buzz test. The injectors should buzz for close to five seconds when the key is turned on. If they do not there is most likely a power supply problem. Just because the multimeter or test light says there is power at the ECM does not mean the circuit is able to carry the amperage needed to run the engine. I use a headlight with a 80/100 watt bulb with both filaments to load the clean power harness.
I do hear the injectors for a few seconds with key on. I tested all wiring with headlight from battery. One goes from battery to two purple wires then to ECM. The other 40 amp wire goes from battery to a relay above steering column under hood. This relay if I disconnect will then only read 1.0 volt on my scanner for potential battery voltage. If I bypass that relay and supply 12 volts it still only reads 9.5 volts on my scanner. I followed this wire and it branches off to two smaller wires and goes into ECM. I have removed most of the harness and don't see any broken or corroded wires. My next plan is to test the ground from battery but I'm was thinking that was probably good because engine cranks over good. Thanks for all your help this far. I hate to get into harness any further is I am to the point where it goes into the molded rubber.
The the wire shown in pic I believe to be the one that feeds ECM with it connected battery potential voltage reads 10.2. even if I run wire directly from battery feeding it it still only reads 10.2 volts. While cranking drops to under 2 volts. Could it be ECM or should I continue tracing this wire? I hate to open up the rubber molded wire loom. But appears problem is after this connector
You are measuring the voltage at the ECM connector with a multimeter while cranking the engine? Navistar ECM's don't often fail. I would be very surprised if there was a problem in the molded harness. Can you measure the resistance between the power and ground pins in the grey ECM chassis connector and where the clean power harness connects to the main harness under the hood?
I'm getting the voltage reading on my scanner. If I disconnect the wire in pic shown with red clip voltage goes to 1.5 on my scanner so I believe this is the power feed. Even if I feed this wire directly from battery it only shows 10.2 volts on my scanner. While cranking voltage drops so low my scanner shuts off. Engine does crank over good I have 3 new batteries with charger connected. I tested this wire shown in pic it lights a light bulb and still reads over 12.5 volts with key on.
The power is three pins in the grey ECM chassis connector, pins C1, C3 and C5. The ground is three pins in the grey ECM chassis connector, pins C2, C4, and C6
Here is a link to the circuit diagrams manual: 2010 7000 circuit diagrams
Can you measure the resistance between the power and ground pins in the grey ECM chassis connector and where the clean power harness connects to the main harness under the hood? Is this that connector?
Can you measure the resistance between the power and ground pins in the grey ECM chassis connector and where the clean power harness connects to the main harness under the hood? Is this that connector?
No the power wires are 10 gauge. There are two power and a ground in a three pin connector. The ground is white the power can be red and purple or purple and purple with a stripe. The picture should say located near engine.
Thanks again. Where is that plug feed from? Starter? I traced the power wires from battery and they don't go to this plug.
The power comes from two fuses in the battery box the ground connects to one of the batteries.
I disconnected one of the 40 amp fuses that comes off battery. My scanner then read nearly 0 volts. This tells he that is the feed for the ECM that reads potential battery voltage. I followed this wire and it goes to the pic with the red alligator clip. That wire lights up the head light and reads 12.6 volts. Even if I run a wire direct from battery feeding this wire my scanner only reads 10 volts. What pin on ECM does this connector feed I want to check voltage right at that point.
I disconnected one of the 40 amp fuses that comes off battery. My scanner then read nearly 0 volts. This tells he that is the feed for the ECM that reads potential battery voltage. I followed this wire and it goes to the pic with the red alligator clip. That wire lights up the head light and reads 12.6 volts. Even if I run a wire direct from battery feeding this wire my scanner only reads 10 volts. What pin on ECM does this connector feed I want to check voltage right at that point.
Can you post a picture of the area where that connector is so I can identify it?
The pic shows the battery I follow it thru a relay then it goes to the that multiple connector on side of engine
That connector has several power outputs from out of the ECM. Its 6011 in the schematic. You need to verify the power going into the ECM
That 40 amp fuse definitely feeds that wire in that harness
Yes it does. The power goes into the ECM from one of the 40 amp fuses then back out on one wire to the 6011 connector and from the other 40 amp fuse the ACT relay sends power through another wire in the 6011 connector as well.
I cannot locate the 6011 connector any ideas?
I think that might be the 6011 plug in the picture in post 47. You should be able to identify it by the wire numbers look up page 846 in the manual I posted.