Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 Volvo EC480DL

ianjoub ยท 2023-10-16 15:50

I am looking at one to purchase. I was told the swing motor or lines are leaking hydraulic fluid. Is it an in depth job to do this? Will the house have to be removed from the carriage? Also, DPF/regen problems. Is it possible to home clean a DPF? Are there companies that offer that service? Are aftermarket DPF's available, from who? Google has not turned up too much in my searches thus far. Serial #VCEC480DA00210057

Replies9
  1. #1uffex2023-10-17 07:57

    Good day I suggest appeal direct to "Fun with Fuel" Im sure he will help you. Normal slew transmission. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2uffex2023-10-17 10:30

    Good day I should have added repairing the slew lines is on the superstructure all work from the top. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3funwithfuel2023-10-17 10:50

    The D series was a tier IV interim machine. It was the stepping stone to tier IV final. That said, it has a very overcomplicated system. It requires regular maintenance of the DPF at 4500 hour intervals. The EGR coolers are pretty robust but not bulletproof. There's an air compressor and a blower to support combustion as well as an air/fuel box which feeds the DOC/DPF. The sensors on the early models were pretty weak, they'd fail quite often. Not trying to scare you off, just know what you're walking into. You will love or hate your dealer tech, cuz there's no other way around it.

  4. #4ianjoub2023-10-17 17:18

    Any thoughts on the swing motor and hyd line access?

  5. #5funwithfuel2023-10-17 19:56

    Easy peasy. Just like Uffex said, it's all up out in the open. One line is case drain, so you'll want to pull a vacuum on the tank to avoid a mess. How bad of a leak? Any pics?

  6. #6ianjoub2023-10-17 21:21

    No pics that show me anything of use. 2012 VOLVO EC480DL 2012 VOLVO EC480DL - Lot #352, McGrew Equipment's Live ONSITE Auction, 10/10/2023, McGrew Equipment Company auctionresource.com

  7. #7funwithfuel2023-10-17 21:30

    Well it was fitted with straight line travel and hammer/shear at least up to the tip of the boom. I guess, you'd want to know if it's a hydraulic leak, ie hose, fittings or o-rings. VS swing gear pinion seal dumping into slew bath. Either way, if you need a machine that big and your getting a good price on it, it can be repaired. And it's not major surgery either way.

  8. #8funwithfuel2023-10-18 05:07

    So Uffex shared these images with me, and I'm passing em on . As you can see, lots of room. I think you'll be fine.

  9. #9ianjoub2023-10-18 08:17

    Excellent. The deal is done and it will be headed my way early next week.