My fuel pump is out again. It is a Cat pump that has about 100 hours on it. Cat wants $260.00 for a new one. I found some knock offs on ebay for $62.00. Has anyone tried one? 12V Fuel Pump 345-3520 416-5886 for CAT 232D 279D 289D 299D 910K 914K 299D2 | eBay
A) the knock off will work just fine... 2) a 100hr failure tells me that either c) you're misdiagnosing iv) you have crappiest luck For giggles, serial number and an photograph of your actual pump on the machine, where I (we) can see hoses and the filter?
Definitely crappy luck. Filters have about thirty hours on them.
CAT0299DLGTC00836. It is making quite a racket and no fuel is in either filter.
Your problem is definitely from an engineering faux pas. The fuel from the tank is going to the the transfer pump unstrained. This allows the debris in the fuel tank to block, restrict, or damage the transfer pump. There is an updated pump/ filter setup revision from Cat ($$$), but.... you can make your existing setup just as good, by adding a Napa 3972 inline screen between the tank and the pump inlet. Install it anywhere convenient on the fuel hose above my squiggle.
The crap in this 3972 is what is going into your pump, unscreened.
Fantastic. I was thinking along the same lines!!!
All because you either A) didn't have one of these in the filler neck, or 2) you remove it each time you fuel, like my idiot coworkers do.
I've never seen one. I bought it used.
Not sure but from the way it shows on SIS: That makes me wonder if this was not a "standard" part on some machines. I would still think about installing some kind of inline filter on the suction line to the pump. A see through one would be very good so you can keep an eye on it and change before it causes a problem!
Does that pump have a filter on the inlet? Looking up just the pump number 345-3520 and I see this illustration for some applications: with Item #1 being a filter P/N 363-5823
Boy, it sure looks like a strainer already there. If that's what that is, there's no need to add another. I'd be looking at fuel line blockage next, from the tank. But it ain't a 363-5823, like below.
It does have a filter before the pump.
I'll pull the line to see if fuel flows but it sure sounds like the pump is toast.
Just out of curiosity is there a part number visible on what appears to be a see through filter on that machine? I agree on checking for blockage of some kind in the tank or fuel lines, or could there be a leak in the suction line causing the problem? Seems like it would be easy to remove the pump and stick the suction end in a tank of fuel and connect power to it to see if it does pump.
According to this the fuel transfer pump #4 has a replaceable 416-5884 Ultra-high Efficiency filter element in it. What's the betting it's plugged.?
It may say UHE, but, it's just a screen. I keep on learning stuff like this, and I might have to become a mechanic
Simply quoting from the description on Cat Parts Store...........and I'd still bet on it being plugged whatever flavour of screen/filter it is.
And if it is an "ultra-high efficiency" filter that might mean it can get plugged with ultra-fine crap that might be hard to see. Like I said I would be tempted to remove the pump and bench test it with the filter removed to see if it flows good. Might want to try the old one too if it hasn't hit the scrap bin already!
I just replaced it...
I'm broke down on this incline. Gauge shows I am a tad over half full on fuel. I disconnected the fuel line from bottom of the pump. I blew on it towards the tank and it is just air. So the pump is sucking air. Wierd.
When you blew into the suction line all you coul hear was air going into the tank not air bubbling into the fuel in the tank, correct.?
Put 5 gallons in and it runs. Now on level ground it reads about 1/3 full.
Correct
Sounds like a slightly less-than-accurate fuel gauge to me. Tank capacity is supposed to be 32 gallons.
So I have replaced my pump twice within 4 years and maybe 300 hours of use. When I talked to the CAT dealer they told me those pumps last about "2 years". Which I think is pretty awful. I just replaced my pump with a Facet pump. These appear to be the same pump that Cat rebrands, but it is only $70 vs Cats $260. Facet Cube 12v Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 9-11.5 psi | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies The Facet 40185 Cube 12 Volt Fuel Pump delivers maximum flow of 32 GPH or 9-11.5 psi max pressure. 1/8 NPT female ports. 96 inch dry lift rating. www.pegasusautoracing.com (They have a few different options to choose from including one that looks like the exact cat pump replacement) I picked that one because it is close to the Cat Requirement of 12psi at 30GPH. I am now wondering if maybe I should have got this one: Facet Cube 12V Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 12-15 psi, 96" lift | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies This Facet Cube Style 12 Volt Fuel Pump has a much larger than normal 96 inch dry lift capability. Maximum fuel delivery is 50 gallons per hour and maximum pressure is 12 to 15 psi. www.pegasusautoracing.com But I just installed it, so it might be too early to tell. I also chose to move away from the CAT inline screen and have moved to the Napa 3972 filter. The reason for this is that my fuel contamination had larger chunks in it the would get trapped at the super small opening between the bottom of the screen and the intake tube. The Napa filter has a bit more space and I am optimistic this will help with my particular problem.
I My Cat 289d just died today, I have a pre filter to the electric pump, have ordered a new filter setup, but am unsure if pump is actually pumping as well. Can I test the pump using a 12v battery and see if it will try to pump ?
I suspect that the pump gave it up, seems like it is original equipment and the unit is a 2016, been working fine up until today. I have had the unit since 2022. Can I test it by applying 12v to pins on plug ?
yes sure can. Should make a solid click click click without liquid connectd
Oh thank you Sir, I don't hear anything, I suspect the pump. I will get one on order, seems to be the problem for sure, but wanted to check. I appreciate the response
A good test would be to remove the fuel discharge line from the transfer pump and then turn the key ON without starting the engine. The pump should discharge fuel for approximately 60 seconds then stop. That is the built-in system to fill the fuel filter element when it has been replaced.
Thank you Nige, I did do that and nothing came out, with no sound and no discharge I am pretty confident that the pump is the culprit ! Thanks again
If the fuel needs to be evacuated from a 289d, is the a drain in the very bottom of tank and would you need to access that from underneath or thru engine compartment, don't see one from rear of unit or would you need to siphon or pump it out
If I need to evacuate contaminated fuel is there a tank drain handy or is siphoning or pump the means to accomplish the evacuation?
Evacuation of fuel tank, by drain plug, siphoning or pump, if contaminated fuel is suspected ?
Next time you are low on fuel just pull the drain plug down there and clean out the debris, will save you a lot of time, also replace the fuel line while you are there, has basically cleared all my issues. I have no idea why cat put the fuel pump in one of the dirtiest areas on the 299d I have.. good lord could have moved it up about 12 inches.
Agreed on location, drain plug on bottom of tank, so gotta get under the machine ? I didn't see one at lower part of thank n on fill side ?
Yep 289d pretty much same configuration! Gotta replace fuel pump 1st, went out today on my 2016.
"Tank side"
Our 2018 - 299D2 has gone out twice. We installed a China knock off the first time. It lasted about a year. Just replaced it again with a Cat pump that I found on Ebay at a discount.
By drain plug. It is part of the preventive maintenance schedule shown in the manual and should be done on a regular basis. The way to optimise this process is to a) have the level of the fuel in the tank well down, and b) park the machine overnight with the drain plug on the “low side” (because the plug is in a corner of the tank) to allow time for the sediment and water to settle into that corner. Then drain the water, etc, the following morning.