Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2013 Volvo SD 115 electrical issue

jproft · 2022-01-28 21:53

I bought this machine last year with around 860 hours and have not had a whole lot of hours put on it since I picked it up, maybe 40 or so. I was using it this week and it keeps throwing codes at me on almost an hourly basis. It started with “parking brake pressure switch fault” and did that on initial start up for a few days. Next it was telling me the speed sensor was bad. It followed that up on Tuesday with the #6 button on the keypad, which is the machine information button, being stuck in the depressed position, so no other readouts will come on screen, and has stayed that way. The thing is, I didn’t depress the button to have it come on. It did it of its own accord. Today it was giving me a plethora of regen fault codes and went into limp mode. No exaggeration, I have been using this for less than an hour a day on the days I used it this week until today, when I ran it for about four hours until it decided it was done. A few things come to mind… either this is a complete lemon, which is possible, or there is an electrical issue. Either way I have no idea how to go about diagnosing it. I’m wondering if it’s a bad ground, a bad wiring harness or a bad computer or something. I’ve never seen a machine throw so many codes in s so short an operating timespan. Does anyone have any experience on this or thoughts about it? It’s too technologically advanced for my meager skills.

Replies3
  1. #1Michael 1152022-05-27 16:59

    Every find the fix to this?

  2. #2jproft2022-05-27 20:02

    Yes. Dealer had it and found 12 broken wires in my main harness. California has exported their problems to the rest of the country with the emissions standards. As explained to me, the tier 4 and tier 4i machines have very sensitive computers to run the emissions on them. In order to keep the ohms and voltages within the tight parameters, they use 18 gauge wires. These tend to break on machines that articulate and vibrate. Go figure. That being said, the service manager at the dealer in Sacramento, VCES, treated me exceptionally well. I have had varied experiences with dealers, but these guys were outstanding. They replaced the harness and I haven't had any issues since.

  3. #3jproft2022-05-27 20:03

    ... and the keypad had failed, but that was unrelated to the codes.