Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 299D Track Tensioner

archangel95 · 2023-06-23 00:28

My left track lost tension today. I put a block under the back of the machine and lifted the track off the ground. I took the plate off the side and pushed the tensioner back out with my grease gun. Got back in the machine drove about 10' and it completely lost tension again. I tried to add more grease and nothing happened. Does anyone have a schematic so I can understand how it works before I take it apart? My SN is JST00762

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2023-06-23 10:28

    With the amount of repairs you are apparently doing it sounds like a Parts Manual would be a good investment. SEBP6868 is the Cat publication reference. I can’t see anything on the usual internet marketplaces but the manual can be downloaded from Cat Publications - https://catpublications.com/ Click on “Continue as Guest”, type SEBP6868 in the box and click search. A download is available in less then. 5 minutes from ordering.

  2. #2archangel952023-06-24 06:59
  3. #3Nige2023-06-24 07:03

    Try again - https://catpublications.com/ Maybe this will work.

  4. #4archangel952023-06-24 07:08

    Yes there is an endless supply of problems with this machine and I spend as much time working on it as I do using it. I was green and i got scammed. Whether I try to purchase as guest or with my cat account I get this error screen.

  5. #5Nige2023-06-24 07:19

    I had some issues with the site last night and it was giving error messages. Try going into the site, put JST in the box & click search. It will probably offer you a couple of options, select “JST1-Up” and click search. You’ll then have to scroll through the results to find SEBP6868. If that fails I’ll have try to find a different supplier but I’m not sure anyone else has downloads available, they are either CD or paper format.

  6. #6archangel952023-06-24 07:37

    72 options. When I found right one it said it was already in my cart. Everything about this machine is a struggle.

  7. #7Nige2023-06-24 08:59

    Did you finally manage to download it.?

  8. #8archangel952023-06-24 13:12

    Hey Nige, Thanks for trying to help. I tore it apart yesterday. I went out and power washed that front piece of undercarriage this morning when I kept getting error message. I wonder how much caterpillar could sell if their web site worked. The ram the adjustment cylinder pushes pushed through the plate.

  9. #9archangel952023-06-24 13:14
  10. #10Nige2023-06-24 13:21

    Try this link. Genuine OEM Manuals but only in paper or CD versions and the prices quoted do not include shipping and handling charges. Official Caterpillar Service Manuals, Owners Manuals (OMM), and Parts Books for Engine & Construction Equipment Repair Official OEM Caterpillar factory service repair shop manuals, parts books, and operator manuals for sale for all Cat engines and machines. www.servicemanualpro.com

  11. #11archangel952023-06-24 13:46

    I tried from my lap top and got it purchased it just finished downloading. I'm gonna see what I can find. Thank you, sir.

  12. #12Nige2023-06-24 13:59

    Were you trying to do it on a phone before.? I should’ve warned you against that. Needs a full-fat PC or laptop to work.

  13. #13ahart2023-06-24 14:00

    Seen this happen before, we had to cut ours apart to put the push plate back in position then weld all back together.

  14. #14Nige2023-06-24 14:14

    If you want to get an O&M Manual I would recommend that you order it on CD from Servicemanualpro rather than download from Cat. It’s an identical manual but cheaper than a Cat download.

  15. #15archangel952023-06-24 15:04

    Yours looks so much cleaner in there. The rust is so extensive on this thing I'm afraid I'm not going to find anything good to weld to. That plate seems to have a much more distinct ring than mine. I wonder what happened to this machine before it came to me.

  16. #16ahart2023-06-24 16:32

    The one I did was a 279D but I can’t imagine it would be too much different.