Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 JCB 260 eco bad engine

chr4663 · 2021-11-22 07:16

My son asked me if I wanted to buy the machine in the title. 500 hours farm use with a hole in the block. He just took over the farm and wants it gone. I'm looking at it as a cheaper way to add a wheeled machine to the fleet. I have a kubota ssv 75 tracked machine and a mini ex. So, what are your opinions on buying it at say $500-1000 and then putting in a new crate engine if one can be found?

Replies18
  1. #1Tags2021-11-22 07:55

    I would do a bit of research before purchasing that machine. Especially check to see what the support for JCB is like in your area. Or go to the skid steer or compact track loader forum and search JCB, seems like there are lots of issues that never get resolved. This is just from what I read, I have no real world experience with them though.

  2. #2hookedondiesel2021-11-22 09:51

    For that price, i would definitely buy it. I believe they have the Kohler engine. have a picture of it?

  3. #3chr46632021-11-22 10:16
  4. #4hookedondiesel2021-11-22 10:19

    Nice, like I said, I would buy it. Does it also have the bucket.

  5. #5chr46632021-11-22 10:21

    I'm not sure about the engine. I thought it was a perkins engine but I haven't figured that out yet. Nearest dealers are an hour away so not super convenient but doable. I have sent out some emails for a remanned engine over the weekend, but will most likely have to make some phone calls to get a response. There are two businesses in Ohio within a couple of hours drive that sell new surplus engines, but I'm not sure on how likely they will have one. The older guy that works with me turns his nose up at JCB. He's run equipment for 40 years and doesn't have a favorable opinion of them, but said for the right price AND if I could find an engine it might be worth it. He just didn't think I would like it compared to the Kubotas we have now.

  6. #6chr46632021-11-22 10:22

    There is a bucket available but we didn't discuss the cost of that with it.

  7. #7hookedondiesel2021-11-22 10:53

    Grab it before he changes his mind, throw him a deposit at least. I had a JCB backhoe, ran great with no issues besides regular stuff. Traded my hoe for a case skidsteer, it has the kubota diesel (v2203) in it, was changed from a gasser. Could also be a possibility for you, not sure. Check google for possible engine swaps on your machine. The cab alone is worth the big bucks.

  8. #8chr46632021-11-22 11:12

    Being Thanksgiving I will see him this weekend. I did talk to the parts dept. at the closest dealer and he is going to get back to me on a cost for a new or remanned engine. Either way, I will post back how it goes. I just thought if I could get a wheeled machine by putting in a new crate or remanned engine for less than $14,000 to complement the ctl I have it would be worth it.

  9. #9hookedondiesel2021-11-22 11:50

    That's a 40K machine.

  10. #10ThreeCW2021-11-22 11:53

    Our neighbor uses a JCB tracked skid steer on his farm for his general loader use ... not sure how they are in the dirt. This is his second JCB skid steer and he likes them. That side entry cab is hard to beat for loader use. All his other equipment is green. Here is an excerpt on the JCB 2014 specs: "JCB’s large platform machines — the 225, 260, 280, 300 and 330 — are powered by JCB’s Tier 4 Final Ecomax engine. As a result, these machines use up to 9 percent less fuel over the previous Dieselmax engine. At CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2014, JCB launched its Tier 4 Final small platform models — the 135, 155, 175, 190 and 205. These machines are powered by the all-new JCB diesel by Kohler Tier 4 engines." This is from: https://compactequip.com/skid-steers/jcb-skid-steers/ And here is an interesting note from a more recent JCB article: “As supervisors bring on new, unskilled workers, prioritize worker safety in your compact skid steer purchase or rental decision,” says Ethan Clowes, product manager of skid steers, compact track loaders and wheel loading shovels at JCB. “The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health reports that 78 percent of all skid steer fatalities involved pinning an individual between the loader bucket and the frame or between the lift arms and the frame. Look for a skid steer that exudes safety.”

  11. #11ThreeCW2021-11-22 12:55

    Here are some JCB specs dated 09/13 so I "assume" they will be valid for the 2014 machine you are considering.

  12. #12580bob2021-11-22 14:35

    they run a jcb eco engine hold on to your wallet fair machines but veeerrryy expensive to repair with those engines resale not so good so not worth much the way it is sitting with a blown engine did one a few years ago complete engine was $18500.00

  13. #13chr46632021-11-22 16:12

    First off, I am grateful for all the input and responses. Very helpful. So, I just got a quote from the dealer for a new engine that they have in stock in Chicago. $29,388 plus freight. So, to me that is going to pencil in over $30,000 with freight and I still need to drive 7 hours to get the machine and figure out a way to get it loaded. The manual said it could be towed 22yds without damaging the hydraulics. I considered cracking open a hydraulic line to maybe make it easier to get on/off the trailer. So, at this point it doesn't seem to be worth it when I can get a kubota ssv65 with 25 hours, enclosed cab, heat and a/c for roughly $12,000 more.

  14. #14580bob2021-11-22 18:22

    no brainer go kubota save yourself the misery

  15. #15skata2021-11-22 20:17

    Holy hell, that is a lot of money for an engine. How much does the seller want for the jcb?

  16. #16KSSS2021-11-22 20:23

    That is a silly amount of money for an engine.

  17. #17chr46632021-11-23 06:41

    That was a quote from a JCB dealer. The cost of the JCB was going to be what I offered at less than $1000. I'm not sure if a thread needs to be closed, but this one is done. Again, thanks for the input and various perspectives. It was very helpful in reaching a decision.

  18. #18Vetech632021-11-23 08:42

    Hell, I'de pay $1000.00 for it and tear down the engine for repair. If it ends up being worthless......you could possibly sell it for $2K just to get rid of it........or part it out for alot more to the right person.