I had to drive my 310 L backhoe over the road to help a friend plow out his driveway when his brand new blower died, three feet from the garage. My hoe has 2 new batteries, that are trickle charged when the backhoe is not being used. When I got home, I wanted to wash the salt off the hoe, so I hosed down the wheel wells, and the undernearth parts. Did not hose out the engine compartment, but did hose from underneath. After hosing it down, I started it, moved it to it's parking space, attached the trickle charger, and turned it off. The next morning, went to start it. The dash lights and display lit. I got the wait six seconds to start message (that happens when it's cold), and turned the key. I thought I heard a click, but not sure. The lights did not dim. Checking the diagnostics, It's telling me I have a starter relay fault. I know where the starter is, and where the fuses for the starter are. I'm sure I can follow the hot lead from the starter to the relay. I know how to put a meter or a 12 volt trouble light on the starter, the input to the relay, and the starter switch to see if 12 volts shows up where it is supposed to. What I don't know, is if there are any safety switches that prevent the unit from starting if the transmission is in gear, if the seat is not facing forward, or the digging parts are not in position. I do not have access to a service manual. Is anyone familiar with this unit that can educate me so I can troubleshoot? My rescue farm cannot afford to bring in the Deere guy unless we have no other choice. Thanks
A serial number is required for accurate information. The K5 starter relay is mounted near the batteries as well as the F6 start relay fuse.
Buy a manual.
A manual is $700. That’s a month of hay to feed the animals. We’re not a construction company, using the hoe to make money. We’re an animal rescue.
The CD ones are quite a bit cheaper and one service call for a simple repair will probably cost more than that. The chains and adapters you bought for this were a lot more than a manual.
Thanks for helping. I would help if I could but have no answers other than trace the wires. While you could worry about the safeties, I would just focus on the ignition circuit and if any water intrusion is causing the fault. I have found manuals on Amazon, quite reasonable. I suspect someone with more knowledge than attitude will be along shortly. Good luck.
A quick search found some places sell PDF versions of the manual, TM13293X19 for much less than $700. One such example Another place
The dealer wants $840. The weather warmed up. The hoe thawed and started right up. No clue. I checked the connections and everything was clean. I used a leaf blower to dry everything out, and ran the engine to heat the tractor up.
Without any other info, or knowledge, I'd plug in the block heater and tarp it. But now I see it already thawed out, excellent.
You most likely got water in the starter and it froze