Hey guys, new to the forum but I signed up to see if I could get some help with the issue we are having with our JCB. The dealers mechanics don’t have a freakin clue and I’m beyond frustrated. We can’t keep the fuel from gelling. We replaced the fuel filters…we run additive in our fuel. There has to be some underlying issue that is causing it to happen. This is the DEF machine we’ve had and I know this machine has an inline motor so it has a smaller micron filter than our older machines but these machines are sold all over the world. There has to be a way to use it in the winter. Thanks in advance for any help!
#1 fuel. Additive does not make #2 usable under 15°F.
I don’t know of any place I can buy #1 diesel. #2 with additive keeps all our trucks and other equipment from gelling? We had -20 this week and not 1 issue with anything other than this machine.
What town are you located in?
Des Moines, IA
Welcome to the HEF. That’s not a dealer technician issue or concern. It’s your fault for putting the wrong fuel in it. Or, your fuel supplier. Talk to your fuel supplier. Or, so much snake oil has been added to the JCB, the pour point has gone the other way. At this point, just warm it up and pump out the chemical soup and start over. Or, wait until spring. Nobody wants to work at twenty below, anyways. But, I work for a fuel distributor in the Arctic, so I wouldn’t know. But, don’t blame the dealer mechanics because your fuel is jello. Keep your toes warm and hydrate.
Doesn't really sound like a machine issue. Where are you getting your fuel from? A bulk container on site, with summer fuel? Try getting some fuel from a station. It should be winter blend now. Only other possibility, is your fuel cap good? Could maybe have gotten rain water in tank.
Well this was the wrong place to ask for help I see. Thanks for the dick reply…it was really helpful.
We get our fuel from a gas station…it goes into a transfer tanks in our trucks then into the equipment. We have never had any issues with any truck or piece of equipment before this one. We have multiple telehandlers, skid loaders for pushing snow and a bunch of diesel pickups. Been using the same fuel from the same chain of gas stations and same additive for years without any piece of equipment ever having any problems with gelling.
How's the fuel cap? Is it possible rain water got in the tank? What additive you run? Maybe try power service diesel 911?
If it’s a one time thing, The gas station could have had some non-spec fuel, or transmix delivered. Fuel quality can be consistent, but accidents and sketchy stuff does happen. You can ask your gas station where they get their fuel from. Be sure to grab a couple roller dogs and a drink. Which station is it? I’m actually somewhat familiar with the fuel biz in Des Moines because of my business relationship with Seneca Tank Truck. Good folks. Then call the distributor and tell them what’s going on. Why just the JCB? It’s because the truck engines have a massive amount of return flow back to the saddle tanks. Common rail injection systems crank out a lot of heat, so does EUI and the others.
The cap is good. We run Howes additive in everything. We have run 911 in it in the past to get it going but this isn’t an isolated issue. This is the second winter we have owned the machine and we’ve had constant problems with it when it gets cold. Just makes no sense that literally everything else run has zero issues. We all get fuel from the same station and all put in the same additive. We keep new filters on everything. There has to be some other underlying issue with this machine.
We’ve been buying fuel from Kum and Go stations for 15+ years. This is the second winter with problems with this machine. The same fuel works goes in all our other equipment with zero issues.
Are you actually seeing gelled up fuel in the filters? Or is something else maybe going on? Unless your jcb is adding water to the fuel, there's really nothing the machine can do to gel the fuel. Unless it's chilling the fuel cooler than outdoor temps! Like coaldust mentioned, many other diesel fuel systems generate heat as the fuel is pumped and bypassed back to the tank. Another possibility is bacteria or fungus in the fuel? Try these from power service.
The other equipment may have fuel heaters and or other things installed but the OEM to help. Especially post-2011 gear. It’s just the feature of the creature. Plus, I remember that Iowa deals with bio blends. B5 to B20. Which does bad in cold weather and additives don’t help much. The Howes may be doing more harm than good. Switch Powerservice in the white bottle. But, the station may be additizing already. So, you might be making the situation worse by additizing. I’ll call and ask. Fuel is a popular topic here. Dig into the archives for an education. Consider filling a slip tank with #1 ULSD and running that in the JCB during the cold spells. Easy fix. I’m sure it’s available at Cenex.
Two years ago? Hmmm. That’s when your gov signed the B20 legislation. At least the soybean growers are happy, even if the JCB isn’t.
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe you can't find a truck stop in frickin Des Moines that doesn't have #1 Diesel at the pump. It might be clear, but you need #1 in that machine. More than likely it has a 2 micron filter for a secondary. Trucks do not have as much trouble because they carry probably twice the volume of fuel. More fuel stays warmer longer.
Yeah. Jcb manual also mentions biofuel could cause issues.
So, I called and asked. Kum&Go is additizing with Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement and Cetane Boost ( white bottle ) . So, please don’t add anything else. BTW, I was told by the CS manager @ 50th Street tonight the Sausage egg and cheese biscuits are made fresh everyday, so there’s that.
Texted a buddy in the fuel biz north of you that stays up late. He says Kum&Go has a contract with FlintHills and Marathon. Marathon has been having issues since their last turnaround. He’s drinking and all over the place, but sounded to me that you could very well be purchasing anything from B5 to B10 at this moment. B10 would be bad at those temps.
I will do some more digging and see if I can find some…that sounds like the easiest thing to try next.
Yeah the fuel is gelled up in the filters. We will run some tank cleaner in it. Sounds like I just need to figure out how to get #1 diesel. This machine is more picky than the others so I guess feed it what it wants or keep swearing at it. The swearing isn’t doing much good.
Cenex will hook you up. Speaking of convenience store fuel and culinary delights, the Loves in Shelby has the best beef jerky to ever come out of a plastic shrink wrap.
Cenex stations have #1 diesel?
Their bulk plant will. Not sure how much fuel you use, but it might be worth considering how you purchase it. Are you paying road tax on the fuel you burn in the off road equipment?
We are a the point where I need to get serious about buying in bulk so we can put off road diesel in our equipment. Cenex has a bulk plant in Des Moines?
There's not much difference in price nowadays for off road fuel, no?
Maybe, each state is different. IDK. Doesn’t look like Cenex has a terminal in Des Moines. Try Diamond Oil Company.