Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2021 cat 259d3 fuel pump

Drays259d3 · 2024-11-15 13:54

Hello, I’m new to this forum! Thank you for having me! I have Recently purchased a 2021 cat259d3. It occasionally stalls out and dies. I check the relay to the fuel pump but it was working. I replaced it with a new one anyways. There are times I turn the key on and don’t hear the pump running. Other times it is on and the machine runs fine. Along with this issue, I have A backup alarm relay current above normal code coming on the display screen. The backup alarm does not work. I have not check for power back at the speaker but I plan On doing that this evening. Code 144-6 SN: CW903533 Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2024-11-15 14:07

    You'll need to post a Serial Number because along with tbe troubleshooting for the 144-6 you will need an electrical schematic which can be S/No dependent. You replaced the relay or the pump.? Have you done any mechanical maintenance on the fuel system yet.? Last one for now. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual.? It should be in the pocket behind the seat but they are well known for going AWOL.

  2. #2Drays259d32024-11-15 14:34

    Hello, I updated my post with the SN. Sorry for the lack of information. I replaced The relay. I do Have the operation and maintenance manual

  3. #3Drays259d32024-11-15 15:04

    The only thing I have done on the fuel system is replacing the fuel filter

  4. #4Nige2024-11-15 15:15

    That being the case and based on your symptoms I would suggest to start by draining the wate r& sediment from the fuel tank. Often refuelling practices on these machines are not as good as they should be. Next I would disconnect and blow out all the fuel suction line from the tank with compressed air. Last step would be remove the complete fuel filter and transfer pump assembly, strip it down and check all the internal passages with compressed air. All the dirt from the tank has to go somewhere....... Try powering the fuel pump direct with 12v while you are at it and make sure it is pumping. Did you find any traces of water or sediment in the lower bowl.?

  5. #5Nige2024-11-15 15:18

    Attached the troubleshooting procedure for the backup alarm relay. Use that along with the electrical schematic I just sent you.

  6. #6Drays259d32024-11-15 15:45

    Ok I will Do that. No traces of water or any sediment in the bowl.

  7. #7heymccall2024-11-15 16:37

    The fuel pump collar unscrews from the filter head. It is not uncommon to find debris in the inlet passage or the cavity under the fuel pump. Be sure the pump perimeter oring is back in the correct location upon reassembly.

  8. #8heymccall2024-11-15 16:41

    Look at pic #2 in post #31 here. Heck, peruse the thread. Zoom in and you'll see some of the debris. HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9B&B2024-11-15 23:20

    I usually dump old fuel filters into a clear jar or coffee cup when changing to see how bas the fuel condition is. Had a rough running 236b that had half a filter full of water. If it comes out the right color with no debris and no water it probably isn't your issue

  10. #10Drays259d32024-11-23 05:53

    Hello, so I made A post about fuel pump issues. Im seeing a pattern with this fuel pump issue. (Run down)— the machine is occasionally stalling and dying. Sometimes whenever I turn on the key, I can’t heat the little electric fuel pump. If I don’t hear it, the machine won’t run for every long before stalling and dying. If I hear it click on whenever I turn the key on, it will run just fine. The pattern I’ve noticed is if I turn The key on and I do Not hear the fuel pump going, the (!) light will be on and I will have 2 codes pop up. 1) 350-3 machine… lift linkage position sensor voltage above normal. 2) 144-6 machine… backup alarm relay current above normal. These codes pop up immediately. Those pop up before I even try to crank the motor. These pop up as soon as I turn On the key and do not hear the electric fuel pump. Whenever I decide to crank the motor, it will start and the stall out and die. If I turn On the key and hear the fuel pump, there will not be a (!) light. The machine will have no codes. It will start right up and run perfectly. Then if I’m going smoothly and all of the sudden the (!) pops on, about 30 seconds later the machine will stall out and die. It will have both codes 350-3 & 144-6. Also, I don’t think there is any debris causing this. It wouldn’t cause the electric fuel pump to not even try turning on. If it were debris, the fuel pump would still make noise but wouldn’t pump fuel. No noise at the fuel pump, cycle the key 5-15 times and the noise of the fuel pump will come back. Let the fuel pump continue to pump until it turns off and the machine will start and run just fine. 2021 cat259d3 S/N: CW903533

  11. #11Drays259d32024-12-19 15:50

    UPDATE!!!!! This problem was cause by the fused relay under the cab, slowly shorting out.