I have a 1986 212 rubber tire excavator I recently purchased, unfortunately no one in my area knows how to work on the machine. The last man at the local CAT place retired, and I am not about to pay a bunch of young mechanics, a lot of money to stare at an old machine or just switch a lot of parts either. I am having trouble with the hydraulics overheating after about 2.5 to 3 hours of working time and I don't know what to do. My cooler fan is working already checked that. I cant find any diagrams for the hydraulic systems, and I am running the super trac hydraulic fluid in the machine. Can any one help please. The local CAT dealer isn't much help they just joke and call it an old Perkapillar. If any one has any ideas other than scraping the old girl please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.
check the oil cooler real good if you can with an air flow meter across the fins wash/blow it out real good
Thank's for the advice we checked the flow and it was almost none, so we sprayed a cleaning agent for ac condensers into the coil fins and it took the new paint job off the oil cooler. The mess it pushed out was a tun of old oil and dirt oil, air flow is great now. We had pressure washed the machine before I reckon that resale paint job paint just held that dirt and oil in to good.