I am in N.C. and have a 215 that needs a main boom does anyone know were to find one .
Is it a straight 215, or is there a letter after it? The serial number will be critical to determining what part number you need. Try a search at machinery trader.com; also, Head equipment in Tn had a couple of 4HG 215Cs at least. Gee, I just realized I was just assuming you meant a Cat trackhoe; since you didn't state even that, we're really going to need more info to help you.
Not trying to be a smartass Mitch, but this is the excavator thread.
Yes just 215 straight no letters
It really needs a machine Serial Number to give any advice. There are 5 different versions of the earliest model of 215 .............. What happened to the original boom..?
Serial #96L986 The main boom on the 215 is a two part boom they told it was for pipeline work i dont know but it has a lot of bad cracks in it.
Post some decent photos of the cracks if you can. It might just be fixable ..............
Hey now! I'm supposed to be the smartass around here. I've been lobbying the moderators to change me from "senior member" to "senior smartass", but they won't do it. JCB made a 215 TLB; and Komatsu, Kobelco, Hitachi, New Holland, Sany, Doosan, Daewoo, Hyundai, Liugong, and XCMG, all made or make a 215 trackhoe, there may be others. So see, I'm still "senior" smartass.
Can be repaired if just has cracks in the boom . Had a service call from a customer and he had managed to twist the main boom , sides of the boom just forward of the lift cylinders had split open on the edges . I'm Thinking .....What the hell did you do to this nice looking 215 Cat Hoe ? He was using it for demolition and swinging sideways ..... Great ........ Good Lord ! We got it straitened back & wrapped chain around the boom with wood cribbing under the chain & ratchet binders to suck it all back together . Then welded the hell out of it with 7018 rods .
I fixed the stick on a 215C that had ripped open on 3 sides. I was able to put the bucket against a stump and use the machine to put it back in place. Welded the cracks with 7018s, then added .5" fishplates, been going strong for 3 years since. Any operator that uses swing for anything other than swinging in open air should be pulled off the machine by his ears.
My repair job was very similar mitch . The real problem was the the idiot in the seat . It was sad .... Nice looking 215 . Boom busted up . No excuse for it . I ran it a little after we welded the boom back and was impressed by the speed of the swing table . It was a nice machine . But got paid to put her back together and repeat jobs with the customer . LOL .