Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

226b 4 in 1 bucket does not open or close

Roby G · 2024-04-20 23:43

Hi all I'm trying to find the issue with my 226b 2004 I think 4 in 1 bucket it won't open or close it had oil leaking from both joy sticks repaired that problem clean all the oil from the electric connectors had it working for a while but it would lock so turned it off disconnected the battery seamed to reset something started working again now has stopped working had the cab up with it running tried the open close nothing didn't hear anything I thought it might be a solenoid but I don't know any suggestions would be great TIA CHEERS Rob

Replies44
  1. #1Nige2024-04-21 00:25

    A serial number would be a good start. Are you using the thumbwheel roller switch on the RH joystick to open/close the bucket.?

  2. #2Roby G2024-04-29 19:10

    CAT0226BCMJH04952

  3. #3Roby G2024-04-29 19:15

    Yes replaced the whole joystick the thumb wheel had broken

  4. #4Nige2024-04-29 19:27

    Sorry to hear that, and of course thew roller switch is not available separately. Did you try opening up the thumbwheel switch to see what the problem was.? The magnet has a habit of coming apart. You might like to take a look at this THREAD for more information.

  5. #5Roby G2024-05-02 19:31

    Thanks Nige when I first replaced the joy stick the switch worked properly I'm afraid if I try to pull it apart again it will break into pieces like the old one damb new 1 was nearly $300. Just because is says CA

  6. #6Roby G2024-05-02 19:34

    But I will look into it I have a multi meter a college (diesel mechanic) told me to test for voltage in the plugs

  7. #7Nige2024-05-02 19:51

    You don’t have to disassemble anything apart except to unplug the wiring harness connector right below the joystick at one point in the test. You will also need a set of spoons for the multimeter so that you can measure voltage in a non-invasive way when the connector is plugged back in. You can test the output of the thumbwheel on your old joystick against the one on the replacement simply by plugging/unplugging the 12-pin connector CONN 33. See below........ With the ley OFF locate the 12-pin wiring harness connector (CONN 33) directly underneath the joystick and unplug it. 1. Turn the key ON and measure the voltage between Pins 1 & 2 (wires P994 Blue & P997 Brown) on the machine side of the connector. It should be 8.0 ± 0.2 volts. 2. Turn off the key and reconnect CONN 33. Turn the key on and measure the voltage again between Pins 1 & 2 by back-probing into the connector. Confirm that it is the same as measured in Step 1. 3. With the key ON and the thumbwheel in the centre measure the voltage between Pins 3 & 2 (wires P996 Green & P997 Brown) by back probing at CONN 33. 4. Repeat Step 3 with the thumbwheel rolled all the way forward. 5. Repeat Step 3 with the thumbwheel rolled all the way back. Post the results from Steps 1-5 back here.

  8. #8Roby G2024-05-02 22:10

    Thanks SO much Nige you are a legend i was hoping for someone's help I'm at work today so I'll give it a go hopefully tomorrow if the missus hasn't made other arrangements Will it show voltage when the park break is on or do I need to have the hydraulics working

  9. #9Nige2024-05-02 22:20

    All you need is to do the measurements is to have the key ON at the various points where it is stated in the procedure above. If it's not ON then you're not going to measure any voltage.......

  10. #10Roby G2024-05-02 22:27

    Thanks SO much Nige you are a legend i was hoping for someone's help I'm at work today so I'll give it a go hopefully tomorrow if the missus hasn't made other arrangements Will it show voltage when the park break is on or do I need to have the hydraulics working

  11. #11Roby G2024-05-02 22:31

    Thanks SO much Nige you are a legend i was hoping for someone's help I'm at work today so I'll give it a go hopefully tomorrow if the missus hasn't made other arrangements Will it show voltage when the park break is on or do I need to have the hydraulics wor Ok thanks again for your help I'll post a reply after I try this out. CHEERS Nige

  12. #12Roby G2024-05-04 01:05

    Hi again Ok tested the voltage on the plug 8.06 volts in the old joystick I took a photo of the wiring

  13. #13Roby G2024-05-04 01:15

    As you can see the green wire is connected to the button so plugged it in did a reading on the yellow (looking at the diagram in the post) & brown got some different readings Plugged in the new one & no readings from yellow so I tried the green got readings???

  14. #14Roby G2024-05-04 03:07

    Ok No it does not have 8volts on the plug when plugged in back probes is that required for the operation of the controls

  15. #15Nige2024-05-04 08:22

    Can you post a photo of the big connector on the machine harness please.?

  16. #16Roby G2024-05-04 20:44
  17. #17Nige2024-05-04 22:58

    If one half of the connector in your photo feeds all the wires going up into the joystick that's where you are supposed to be testing voltage....... Please go back and read post #8 careully.

  18. #18Roby G2024-05-07 22:08

    Ok once the plug w as reconnected I backprobed the machine side of the plug in blue 994 & brown 997 still got a reading of 8.06v then took the probe from 994 & probed green 996 the thumb roll in the centre reading 4.134v up the reading 1.880v down the reading 6.37

  19. #19Roby G2024-05-07 22:11

    Photo of backprobe

  20. #20Nige2024-05-07 22:27

    The voltage measurements are certainly in the right ball park. Are those readings repeatable (say +/-0.05v) no matter how many times you roll the thumbwheel or return it to the centre.? If they are then hook your old joystick handle to the same electrical connection and do the same test. Post back with your results.

  21. #21Roby G2024-05-09 02:16

    I can only test the old plug in the centre i have a magnet I used before the new joy stick that might work.Yes the readings were the very similar every time I moved the thumb reel . Do you know or have a pic where the solenoids are situated can I check the plugs on the solenoids it might be the problem . Cheers Rob

  22. #22Nige2024-05-09 08:27

    Before you go to that end you are going to have to visit the ECM and ensure that the exact same voltages you measured at the connector next to the joystick are actually arriving at the ECM. For that you will need an electrical schematic. Do you have one.?

  23. #23Roby G2024-05-09 18:16

    I think I do I need to find it but I don't even know where the ECM is located the service manual has very little in diagrams. How big is the ECM like mobile phone size bigger or smaller ??

  24. #24Nige2024-05-09 18:30

    See this thread, Posts #6 & 7. You’ll need to remove the seat first. It’s quite likely that your ECMs will be in a similar state. Cat 247B Aux Hydraulics Intermittent Working on my 247B Serial:MTL03866 It came to me from a equipment grave yard and has been quite a process to get into reliable shape, but I am getting there. Recently I ended up with a operators manual and realized that the "Auxiliary Override" light that has been on constant in my machine is... HeavyEquipmentForums

  25. #25Roby G2024-05-09 18:40

    I think I do I need to find it but I don't even know where the ECM is located the service manual has very little in diagrams. How big is the ECM like mobile phone size bigger or smaller

  26. #26Roby G2024-05-09 18:53

    Ok I'll get to it today looks like I need to lift the cab I'll test the old switch first the hydraulics have been leaking a long time before I bought the machine I'll need to clean the area in the hydraulics as well by the look of the post you sent me Keep you posted

  27. #27Nige2024-05-09 19:21

    Your wiring layout and ECM location is slightly different to the thread I linked. See attachment. The AUX Implement ECM that receives the signals from the joysticks is #20.

  28. #28Roby G2024-05-09 19:50
  29. #29Roby G2024-05-09 19:51

    That was the old plug operated with a magnet

  30. #30Roby G2024-05-09 22:38

    That was the old plug operated with a mag

  31. #31Roby G2024-05-09 22:43
  32. #32Roby G2024-05-09 22:45

    Belly plate was missing I had to dig the ECM out of another of build up

  33. #33Roby G2024-05-09 22:46

    By the diagram I think I've cleaned the correct 1

  34. #34Nige2024-05-09 23:19

    Based on those numbers there wasn’t a lot wrong with the former thumbwheel roller switch.

  35. #35Roby G2024-05-09 23:59

    No but I had to use a magnet just frustrating

  36. #36Roby G2024-05-10 02:57
  37. #37Roby G2024-05-10 03:01

    This is the only schematic that I have do I need to follow the harness to the ECM & check the wiring at the ECM

  38. #38Roby G2024-05-10 03:03
  39. #39Roby G2024-05-10 03:06

    This is what they give you in the service manual

  40. #40Roby G2024-05-10 03:54

    Hi Nige After reading the 247B post I realise what you are talking about yes it was covered in oily dirt it lived out side for many years as well so if there is a schematic for the ECM for this machine that would be great otherwise I'll try to trace/test the voltage from conn33 to the ECM Just wandering where do you get your schematics from.Mine look like Cat do this on purpose to stop people repairing their Machines

  41. #41Roby G2024-05-10 03:56

    This was after cleaning

  42. #42Nige2024-05-10 08:57

    I’ll send you an electronic copy of the latest one.

  43. #43dualtrade2024-10-02 18:39

    Hi Nige, I also have a similar problem with a 247B, would you be able to send me a wiring schematic? MTL05314

  44. #44Nige2024-10-03 05:51

    I can. Keep an eye on your message inbox.